LR4 5.0 Chain Guides actual problem?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At the first sound of rattling chain mine is getting traded in.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My ‘07 Mini Cooper S had an issue with the chain tensioner and guides at 31k miles. It was a major design issue. I
At the first sound of rattling chain mine is getting traded in.

Why?

I mean, I understand it's a PITA and an expensive job, but if you like the vehicle, why not fix it and keep it. How expensive is this job. 2-3k?

IIRC, the 2013 LR4's have the later design which is not an issue, right? If so, lucky me ( I have a late MY2013). But still, you pay the money once and the car is good for life, effectively. Unless it's a 5k+ job and your vehicle is worth 15 or less, then good luck selling it or trading it to an unsuspecting new owner.

BTW, this sort of thing (selling before a grenade explodes) is the risk of buying used. Kudos to car makes/models that have no time bombs to watch out for, but the point is, if you do your research before buying used (which everyone should), you should know what to watch out for. Check if the time bomb was diffused, and if not certain, pass or factor in the cost of the repair.

Pfunk951

Full Access Member
Reaction score
RyanJl: I thought I had noise on startup, brought it in and our dealer said it needed new chains.. By "chains" I'm sure he meant tensioners, as if the chains are making noise it's because they are laying broken in the bottom of the engine..

Mike

Last edited:

Pfunk951

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quijote- I think mine was quoted like $4,500, and that is at the -premier- LR dealer here in Kansas City.. So that's not really that bad- take a grand off that for an indie joint..

As I see it, this job is one of the final problems that stand in between us and 150k+. So far this forum has nailed down:

1. Water Pumps
2. Crossover Pipes
3. Transmission Service
4. Control Arms
5. Spark Plugs
6. Differential and X-case service

..and many more. All but the tensioners can be done at home, and we're aiming to change that.. And if we can confirm that we don't have to pull the valve covers, I foresee a write-up in the next year..

And to further this, we are not the only brand to suffer from the euro migration from belts to chains.. The Audi Allroad B6/B7 A4 has a chain guide/tensioner issue at 90k miles, and the chains are up against the firewall. $10k if you're lucky, and there are ASE mechanics that would run from that job. I wouldn't try telling the Audi forums the Allroad is poorly engineered..

And Quijote is correct, I've walked away from MANY 930s and 993s- displaying known issues on the forums.. It feels like almost stepping on a land mine..

We'll get this crap ironed out..

The

Last edited:

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
RyanJl: I thought I had noise on startup, brought it in and our dealer said it needed new chains.. By "chains" I'm sure he meant tensioners, as if the chains are making noise it's because they are laying broken in the bottom of the engine..

Mike

When I picked mine up from the compressor job on Monday, my service guy told me to make sure to schedule at least one more appointment before my CPO warranty expires this December. I'm expecting to take a trip to Colorado in a week or two. Curious how it will sound on a cold start at altitude.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My ‘07 Mini Cooper S had an issue with the chain tensioner and guides at 31k miles. It was a major design issue. I

Why?

I mean, I understand it's a PITA and an expensive job, but if you like the vehicle, why not fix it and keep it. How expensive is this job. 2-3k?

IIRC, the 2013 LR4's have the later design which is not an issue, right? If so, lucky me ( I have a late MY2013). But still, you pay the money once and the car is good for life, effectively. Unless it's a 5k+ job and your vehicle is worth 15 or less, then good luck selling it or trading it to an unsuspecting new owner.

BTW, this sort of thing (selling before a grenade explodes) is the risk of buying used. Kudos to car makes/models that have no time bombs to watch out for, but the point is, if you do your research before buying used (which everyone should), you should know what to watch out for. Check if the time bomb was diffused, and if not certain, pass or factor in the cost of the repair.

Easy. My rig is now at 100k miles. As nice as it is it will be at 9 years of service soon. In the next couple of years it could need (this is my 3rd LR3/4 so I understand them well). We also live where theit is snow 6-7 months per year. This means salt so things get corroded.

Current sell value: $18k CAN?

Items that probably will need attention in next 2 years (if the guides act up):

Transmission pan swap. $1000 CAN
Rear A arms: $1200
Compressor: $1000
Timing chain guides $5000

I am at $8200.

At some point one needs to move up the year calendar on a newer vehicle for a daily driver. Probably a 2-3 year old Lexus LX or Land Cruiser.

BeemerNut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quijote-

And to further this, we are not the only brand to suffer from the euro migration from belts to chains..
And Quijote is correct, I've walked away from MANY 930s and 993s- displaying known issues on the forums.. It feels like almost stepping on a land mine..

We'll get this crap ironed out..
The

Not likely........

Haven't encountered cam chain with slipper problems on the 86 735 or 87 325IS BMW's which have 245K (735), 317K (325IS) BMW mileage and counting.
Mercedes of the 50's era, my 56 300c Mercedes another example a chain driven OHC engine without any of these the low mileage early expensive LR failure problems.
Even the so called "antique push rod engine" in my 95 D1 with 4.6 transplant has over 170K trouble free timing chain and sprockets problems. One exception, installing a true roller timing chain with steel and hardened steel sprocket vs LR's link belt with nylon gear crap day one on the factory new 4.6 short block install. Nothing wrong with dry timing belts being replaced every 60K or by manufactures recommendation miles.
Chain slippers controlling chain whipping and slack is one thing, to change large chain direction angles in many degrees of deflection like on these "modern high tech" LR engines is a low mileage doomed to early failure experience LR owners are paying big money to replace.
Real life operational production engines running a fight against the Bean Counters, guess who won or who lost, lost that would be the general public of LR owners.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They purportedly used the updated timing chain guides in 2013, meaning they should not have the problem.

ttforcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
incredible that LR doesnt do a recall on this....god forbid someone gets hurt when a motor seizes.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV