LR4 as a College Car.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zinhead

Reaction score
For the infrequent use, it might just be more cost effective to call a taxi or Uber for grocery shopping, and rent a car when you go visit.

Good points, which is why they have not had a car on campus until now. A couple of things are driving this.

1 - The last two times we visited, the car rental charge for a basic vehicle averaged $150 a day due to outrageous fees and taxes. We intend to spend alot more time on the west coast for vacations in the next few years, so if we visited two weeks out of the year, having a car will save us $2,100 in rental car fees. That will cover insurance and registration costs.

2 - In the past four years, ours kids had summer internships that required they had a car to commute. In the past, we have shuttled one of our cars back and forth from the coast at the beginning and end of the internship. Instead of doing this on a bi-annual basis, it would make sense just to leave it out there year round.

3 - We already have other daily drivers, so if they do not take the car, it will just sit in our driveway for the next nine months. Alternatively, if we sell it and they do need a car for future summer internship, we will have to buy something for them to drive.

MarcusTriton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would sell the Rover here and get the child something more sensible like a Camry that won’t break your heart if something breaks, or your wallet for that matter.
Wise mans speaks truth. Buy anything Toyota, for your kid, as along as you have a mechanic look at it first.

16FujiDisco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see it a couple different ways: it’s a fickle car to be that far away from, but you know the car bc you’ve had it for awhile and maintained it. Be honest with yourself and whether you would trust it that far away. If you had and Indy lined up that you trust, it makes it a little easier. It could also be a learning experience for your kid on how to problem solve real world problems on their own. I would trust 19yr old me, but I’ve always been a car guy and able to work on stuff myself. Is your kid like that, or are they the opposite of mechanically inclined? I’m not sure there is a right or wrong answer, just maybe one that has less cons than the other; you just have to weigh the cons and decide what you’re ok living with.

Zinhead

Reaction score
So we ended up doing the trip, and made a vacation out it. Over seven days, visiting Montana, Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, and the Oregon/Northern California coast. We put over 3,600 miles on the LR4 from the Midwest to the Bay Area, and it ran like a champ. Some photos from the trip:

IMG_6008.JPG

IMG_6048.JPG

PA253435.JPG

Zinhead

Reaction score
The only eventful part of the trip was the drive south of Yellowstone to Jackson Hole when we got caught in snowstorm. It was white out conditions for about 100 miles, but the LR4 handled it like a champ. The vehicle was stable, with no traction control coming on. The only time the ABS came on was when we stopped to check on stranded vehicles.

IMG_6207.JPG
IMG_4779.JPG

Image (5).jpeg

Zinhead

Reaction score
Willamette Valley and the Oregon Coast was the one area we had not been to before, and this trip made us want to go back and spend some time there. It was absolutely beautiful.

Image (6).jpeg

Image (6).jpeg

And here is the Rover safely on campus after a well needed washing. Over the trip, it averaged 19.2 mpg and didn't loose any fluids.

Image (3).jpeg

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA