Lr4 Brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LR4mywife

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just had my truck in for brakes (41K miles) and......

Welcome to the land of the **** poor brakes & rotors life. They set us up good for this as no vehicle should have to replace rotors at 12k. They did the same thing to me. I am only averaging about 15k for pads and less than 30k for rotors. The only way to lessen this is to learn how to do it yourself. NO other way to drive this vehicle but to just drive it. Some of the guys on these posts get very good life out of theirs but i swear they must be driving on highways 95% of the time. If you are a city driver with lots of red lights, you are done!. However as i always say, i love my beast regardless.

It was pretty painful. Total cost was $1700 and change (tax included). Was all new brake pads, and rotors all around. This is the first that any work was done on the front brakes, and the 2nd time for the rears. I got 22K miles out of my rears the first go round, and could have probably gotten another 1 to 2k this go round, but the dealer suggested I do all 4 now, as he could not state that the sensors wouldn't simply go off in a week or so, causing me to return to the dealer for the rest of the job. He gave me 15% off doing them all now, which saved me nearly $300. Still expensive, and even so, I still love the truck. It's a 2010, and we have purchased it out from the 3 year lease we started out with this past June. It drives like new, and won't need new tires for a year. I figured I could get a 2013, but why. It would not really do anything that our 2010 does, and now I have new brakes.

Oh, our vehicle does not get driven in a big city much (i.e., Chicago, Twincities, Milwaukee, etc.) so we don't see that much "stop and go" type traffic from congestion. Just a normal mix of about 50/50 hwy and around town with lights and normal stops. For what it's worth, our previous vehicle BMW X5, needed all new brakes at 44K. Unlike the LR, BMW replaced them under warranty (part of their maintenance included program).

Cheers,

Joe

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
$1700?!?! Can you itemize that for us? I am going to change them myself when the time comes. Even if my time is worth more, i enjoy working on my own vehicles.

I should search for a brake DIY howto, but I dont imagine its harder than any other vehicle.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Armed robbery. That's what $1700 for brakes is. If I'm paying $1700 for brakes it better include pads, rotors, sensors, flexible lines, master cylinder, etc.

It's been covered on this thread already. Just wow. I'm glad I'm handy and can do that stuff myself.

LR4mywife

Full Access Member
Reaction score
$1700?!?! Can you itemize that for us? I am going to change them myself when the time comes. Even if my time is worth more, i enjoy working on my own vehicles.

I should search for a brake DIY howto, but I dont imagine its harder than any other vehicle.

Sorry, I actually just threw away the itemized receipt yesterday. Did not have a need to keep it, so in the trash it went. Basically, it was pads, rotors sensors, and some shop / labor charges. It's expensive, but what else can I do? I'm not doing it myself, and I shutter at letting a kid at a local garage have at it, only to have an issue with a sensor down the road.

Good luck to you.

Joe

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For what it's worth, our previous vehicle BMW X5, needed all new brakes at 44K. Unlike the LR, BMW replaced them under warranty (part of their maintenance included program).

Cheers,

Joe
You do realize that, that BMW "free" maintenance is actually priced into the COGs. Nothing is truly free. Also add in $500 bucks for their fancy ads, per unit.

That brake job seems to be a bit high but new rotors, pads, the entire job for a premium car can be hard to swallow anyway. In the scheme of things though you're good to go for another three plus years.

Last edited:

costelj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bedding your brakes properly also extends the life quite a bit... I do it on every car I've owned and for 80% of them it's helped greatly. Most people buy new cars and brake like they've never braked before. And that will cause early wear/rotor warp-age
I do this with new cars as well, though I thought it was less about the life of the brakes and more about having smooth brakes (no shudder). Either way, it's simple to do (finding a large parking lot, imo, is the way to do it, unless you have access to a track) and while you wait for your brakes to cool down, you can investigate all the new features of the vehicle. That's what I do, and that's what I plan to do when I get my LR4.

My last car, an Infiniti G coupe, had 800 miles on it when I got it, so I didn't have the opportunity to bed the brakes. Naturally (related to a lack-of-bedding or otherwise) at 30,000 miles it shudders a bit under heavy braking.

Izzyandsue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure if you guys have seen this:
http://www.**************/gallery/albums/userpics/11748/Bodsys_Brake_Bible_V1.4sml.pdf

I have a 2012 HSE and changed my pads at 15K miles, put in EBC Green all around (around $200 as I recall), followed the instructions on the PDF and was very easy. I didnt' replace the bolts, EBC didn't come with them and dealer wouldn't sell separately. The EBC's seem to have a good reputation in the UK, not sure if being a British company matters that much. But so far, they work just as good or better than OEM ones.

Rotors have a limit of 27mm on front, 18mm on rear according to manual. Mine were not warped and still within spec, so no need to change them.
My recommendation, if warped and still in spec, take them to an auto shop and have them resurfaced ($20 per pair here in NC). That's what I do for my "sporting" cars, and I keep 3 sets of them, one is usually at the shop being done, the other two on the car and as spares for track changes.

Brake shudder is not always warped rotors as this article indicates. I have been there, and it's worth it on these expensive cars to try other methods to remove shudder before going for rotors:
http://www.stoptech.com/technical-support/technical-white-papers/-warped-brake-disc-and-other-myths

As a newbie the most difficult part on the brake job was figuring out how to get the LR on jackstands so the wheels wouldn't stay on the ground. But that's another story.

Last edited:

still-one

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just had my "11 with 42,000 miles in for some service yesterday and during the inspection they indicated that my front pads were down to 4mm and quoted $964 for performing replacement. The rears are at 7mm and will be good for a while now. I am not going to perform the service myself but that sure is a lot.

This is the longest (3 years) I have owned any daily driver and the first time I have had to replace tires or brakes on a vehicle. Ouch!!!!

psc

Reaction score
My front brakes (only) on my LR4, where recently replaced at 31K miles (rears where replaced earlier at 15K due to a persistent squeal).

12K seems a bit short, although it would depend on driving environment and if they are riding the brakes (I have noticed that my 2010MY allows the brake & accelerator pedal to be depressed without generetating a warning).

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99