Lr4 official off road photo and video thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have done something like that with mine. Its not even really a question of grip on the tire on the post, the other wheels will push you up as long as the post tire can roll up onto it. 4 wheel drive, not standard car one front wheel drive!

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since you are not an off-roader and think this post is something crazy. Here are a couple pictures of my JKUR being off-road. Hope this doesn't upset any LR people! I sure do miss this flex!
I love this Jeep! :)

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since you are not an off-roader and think this post is something crazy. Here are a couple pictures of my JKUR being off-road. Hope this doesn't upset any LR people! I sure do miss this flex!

How wide is that jeep?

I was just watching a jeep jk experience video about blackbear pass. Some nice jeeps on the video, but they all seem really wide to me. They obviously all have 2.5" lifts and what look like 35"+ tires. Thats all normal looking, but to me, those jeeps all look VERY wide, which on that pass seems like a bad idea. It is a narrow trail.

I always have liked that the discovery track width is a bit narrow. 63.5" which is like 5.2 feet. Now even with my compomotives and 32" tires, im not much wider and the tires are still tucked in the fenders.

A bone stock Wrangler Rubicon is only about 62" track width, but thats with the tires still under the fender flairs.

KEEP IT TIGHT : The JK-Experience Colorado -- Black Bear Pass & Billings Canyon [Part 4 of 4] - YouTube

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love this Jeep! :)

Thanks David. I loved that Jeep too. Was a huge amount of fun!:rock:

How wide is that jeep?

I was just watching a jeep jk experience video about blackbear pass. Some nice jeeps on the video, but they all seem really wide to me. They obviously all have 2.5" lifts and what look like 35"+ tires. Thats all normal looking, but to me, those jeeps all look VERY wide, which on that pass seems like a bad idea. It is a narrow trail.

I always have liked that the discovery track width is a bit narrow. 63.5" which is like 5.2 feet. Now even with my compomotives and 32" tires, im not much wider and the tires are still tucked in the fenders.

A bone stock Wrangler Rubicon is only about 62" track width, but thats with the tires still under the fender flairs.

Width on the Jeep was probably 63-64" with those tires as they stuck out slightly farther than the fenders but would tuck just fine when compressed. In this picture I have "35 inch" tires (measured out to about 33.7" on the vehicle) and 3.5" of lift.

I think you are under estimating the Jeeps you are watching in that video. Especially the big white one which is the guy who owned JK-Forum and owns that Jeep. Now he has wayalife forum and still has project-jk. His name is Eddie. Most everyone else in those videos has at least 37" tires as that is the minimum requirements and either 4.5" of lift with coils and shocks or complete coilover kits. Couple people have similar set-ups to him.

That Jeep has ProRock 60's in that video which put you about 68-70" depending on wheel and tires. He recently put in LS V8 and a ProRock 80 in the rear. The Jeep sits on 14" coilovers in the front and 12" in the rear. He probably was running about 4.5-5" of lift for this run and those are 40" tires. Him and his wife make these videos. There are a good number of them out there and they go to some pretty crazy spots. I highly recommend watching more of them. I always put them on the TV to watch in HD. They will be coming out with the 2013 JK Experience in the next week I believe. It will be video 1 of probably 3.

Last edited:

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I must have typed the LRWorld forum address wrong... ;)

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I must have typed the LRWorld forum address wrong... ;)

Haha. Didn't mean to derail the topic.

I am looking forward to trying the LR4 on that trail from my picture but I don't think I will be able to go the entire trail. I can do the ends and get to certain points but then have to turn around.

Have to be a little more careful with the rover dues to all the metal and glass. Jeep was a little more forgiving with plastic and fiber plastic.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You know, it wouldn't **** us to talk about jeeps more (in a very positive way)... they don't have to be the enemy. The only people I get to go off road with in Iowa are Jeeps for the most part.

We should be envious of the Jeep aftermarket. Owning and Modding an LR in north america is extra tough because its not made by the locals. If I really got into the more pure off roading like in that video, I would probably just buy and build a dedicated JK trail rig. Something you could bang around like in the videos and its not going to damage anything.

My LR4 is far more comfortable and capable (for the things I use it for) than a 4-door JK, which is why I own it.. but I still think they are cool.

Plus I just run out of LR videos on youtube and have to watch something. (those are some great videos)

Edit, I should list some of the 'things I use it for' that are IMO, better than in a JK.
* Comfort for driving cross country, none of the jeeps are better IMO (did iowa, indiana, florida triangle last summer)
* Camping out of it with family of 4, its just nicer, tailgate, storage, size
* Towing my boat and all the gear for camping, tent or RV or cabin.. fantastic tow vehicle
* Its more my style, I dont like to blend in. In Dubuque, I've ALWAYS got a unique, and usually tallest, ride in the lot.

Last edited:

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let's not be mistaken. I do like jeeps. Hell I almost bought one instead of the LR4 as for me (European) they are a kid's dream. On top of it, as you mentioned the aftermarket parts are more than readily available.

I actually test drove both a Rubicon JK and a '14 Grand Cherokee...
I hated the way the JK drives on the road and didn't get a chance to take it off road. On the other hand, the GC is just fantastic. The 8 speed gearbox, the luxury, the 5.7... And they offer an off-road package unlike Land Rover.

If the Jeep dealership hadn't closed at 1pm on a Saturday I would have ordered one... That same afternoon, this used LR4 popped up on the LR website around 5pm... I drove to the dealership on Sunday and bought it right there and then.

I have to say that I love having the LR4 and probably will stick with LR from now on, but the amenities of the GC are not even available on most of the LR products...

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
95% of my off-roading buddies drive Jeeps and I am always jealous at the vast number of modifications and support available. I find that most Jeep guys are pretty nice to me and like that I actually drive the LR4 onto the dirt.

NASdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jeeps are far more economical to wheel due to the aftermarket support options. That is clear. I also think though that LR folks tend to be better drivers though because of the inability to fit 35" or 37" tires. I'm not trying to create an us versus them, but you have to get pretty good at driving off road to move a 31-33" tire and heavier truck through an obstacle, than a 35 or 37". We staffed the VOT this past summer and found that the Jeeps modified to the top end, had less issues and some even stated, less challenge/fun on the trails we used.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635