LR4 Transmission Fluid Change: Pan Swap Option

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It will be impossible to use anything but the side port to fill the transmission. Filling from the bottom will just have the fluid dropping right back onto your face.
Ryan is correct. Unless there is a plastic pipe connected above the pan fill/drain port, it's unpossible to fill this way. Mercedes pans can fill from the pan but they use the plastic pipe design, where ZF uses the transmission housing side-port design.

:stupido2:

txfromwi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2013 & 2015 Houston TX. 2016 Rochester NY
As we know and per the ZF Factory Service Guide:
Our LR4's come with the ZF6HP28 with the plastic pan.

From the ZF Spare Parts Catalog:
The ZF6HP28 and ZF6HP26 use exactly all the same parts.

From the ZF6HP26 factory service guide, the 26 comes with a plastic Type A or a steel Type B pan.
The steel pan is supplied to BMW, Lincoln, Audi and Bentley.
The plastic pan is supplied to BMW, Ford, Hyundai, Jaguar, Lincoln, Alpina, Aston Martin, Rover, and Weismann.

Because all the piece parts are the same, this is what allows the pan swap out from plastic to steel.

Type A and Type B Pans.JPG

The plastic pan has only a drain.
The steel pan has a drain and a fill, both in the bottom of the pan.

From the ZF factory service guide:
Steel Pan bottom View.JPG

Here is a cross section of the fill from a ZF Training Presentation showing the Bentley.
Cross Section.JPG

And finally, I have in hand the steel pan as sold by AB, it is ZF part number 1068 203 020.
The pan is an exact match to the various drawings above and comes with a BMW sticker on it.

So the question remains, when going to the steel pan, do we use the fill port in the transmission housing or do we use the fill port in the bottom of the pan.

This only becomes important ONLY IF there a volume difference, i.e. is the fill port level actually at the same elevation in either case.
As above I have conflicting posts, one that says there is a volume difference, and if I could find it, another that more convincingly says that there is not.

I plan on sending this comment to ZF by way of explanation of what we Rover geeks are doing and to ask the question to the vendor.

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the question remains, when going to the steel pan, do we use the fill port in the transmission housing or do we use the fill port in the bottom of the pan.
Use the fill port in the transmission housing. This eliminates all variables and will result in the correct fluid level for the Land Rover application, regardless of any difference in pan volume.

The only question that would remain is if for some reason you really, really want to fill and set the level only using the fill port on the pan, but I can't think of a reason why this would be preferred...

:bike:

txfromwi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had an idea about 2AM last night - who can sleep when there are Rover questions !

If the two fill ports are at the same level then isn't it a moot point? Because it it's filled to the proper level what difference does it make if the reservoir is 2L or 2000L, as long as it's not "too small" an amount, pending definition of "too small"

I will take a look and see if I can get a rough determination if they are at the same level - without taking it apart - yet.

And also, along those same lines, if we fill to the transmission housing fill level then it's filled per our original factory specifications - and again - it should not matter how large the reservoir is - as long as it's not "too small".

I do plan on discussing with ZF and I will report back, but right now I think that the best route is to fill to the transmission housing level.

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe the ports are different levels. The port on the side of the transmission should be higher than the port on the pan with the stand pipe attached.

And also, along those same lines, if we fill to the transmission housing fill level then it's filled per our original factory specifications - and again - it should not matter how large the reservoir is - as long as it's not "too small".
Exactly! This is what I was trying to say in previous posts.

I do plan on discussing with ZF and I will report back, but right now I think that the best route is to fill to the transmission housing level.
I agree, and am curious what ZF has to say.

itsaguything

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You use the upper fill port. I will try to find the reference for you.
I have to ask WHY are you considering a move to the steel pan from the provided polymer pan.. That has performed flawlessly to this juncture? Everyone that I know personally has moved back to the polymer pan as leaks developed with the steel pan…

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@itsaguything :

The steel pan allows changing the filter without removing the chassis crossmember, saving a ton of work.

I haven't heard of leaks with the steel pan, but there's an aftermarket gasket discussed earlier in this thread that appears more robust than the stock gasket (or whatever's provided in the "kits")?

:stupido2:

alldazed

Reaction score
I couldn’t source the aftermarket gasket which I had also read about. I used the papery / cardboardy one that came with the AB kit and used the adhesive/sealant as used in the AB video. You likely need it anyway as the adhesive holds the gasket in place very firmly which is useful. Very important to tighten / torque the bolts in the very specific ZF order. This is not on the AB video but can be found elsewhere. It stops the pan twisting which may be the source of some people’s leaks. I found a very nice 1/4 inch drive torque wrench - Canadian tire own brand - that is fairly robust and could reach all the bolts with the back end of the transmission jacked up an inch or so.

txfromwi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Pan Kit as supplied by any of our standard vendors is actually a Kit from ZF - well mostly...
I purchased from our standard vendor and they did not even bother to remove the ZF label from the box, so this is a proven fact.

The kit as we purchase it contains pan, filter, gasket and bolts.
The pan and the filter both have ZF stampings and are clearly from ZF.
The bolts appear to be aftermarket from an unknown source.
I am attempting to locate actual ZF bolts - proving quite challenging...

The gasket in the kit is a standard simple paper gasket and while there are no markings on it, appears to be ZF.

After many, many, many hours of internet work and reading, I now have the documentation to prove that the gasket earlier in this post is indeed a correct aftermarket upgrade.

Here is the info for reference:

Summit Racing is the vendor
Lube Locker Gasket
Part Number LT-F6R80
It is sold as a Ford part
I purchased a few weeks ago at $33.
Per the Lube Locker website use the original torques as provided by the application.

I have placed it on the pan and it is a perfect fit.

As far as need to change fluid and filter:
Rover and most vehicle manufacturers say "sealed for life", well, that tells you how often they want to sell you a new vehicle.....
I found this last night, but it's been in my to review list for a while...

Per the ZF Factory Service Guide, and as copied from my spreadsheet:

On page 1 - Depending on the driving style, ZF recommends a transmission oil change every 80,000 to 120,000 km or after eight years at the latest.That's 50,000 - 75,000 miles

I have most of the parts, but I still do not have all my concerns addressed.
I will not open her up until I know this is the right thing to do.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM