LR4 Transmission Fluid Change: Pan Swap Option

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tapps33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you please clarify what you mean by Canon Plug Seal?

Thanks.
There's a plastic "collar" that has o-rings on it. It's literally the seal for where the transmission cannon plug connects to the mechatronic from the outside of the transmission.
Here's. pic of the seal kit, and then just the cannon plug.

Also, I'd like to state for the record, these parts are some of the few that I ALWAYS go OEM ZF parts....it's my transmission, and these things are amazing when they're good....but they can be very finicky if they're a little off. Other on this forum may have had good luck with aftermarket stuff, but I haven't heard anything good about aftermarket ZF trans parts. So, make sure any seals you get are no kidding ZF brand parts. (Others may disagree, and that's fine, this is truly just my opinion)

seal kit.jpg
Cannonplug.jpeg

txfromwi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2013 & 2015 Houston TX. 2016 Rochester NY
Let's kick this can one more time.

And this is because lately my experience with Atlantic British has been poor at best, and I no longer trust their information.

1. Proven - the proper bolts/screws for the steel pan are ZF 0736 010 347.
https://aftermarket.zf.com/remoteme...pdfc-2-2-zf-6-speed-transmission-parts-en.pdf
Note that the photo on the ZF site shows the bolt/screw. There is NO washer/spacer.

1. Question
The bolt/screw as supplied in the AB "kit" HAS a washer/spacer that decreases the "working" length of the shaft to about 19mm - as I measure it.
Total length of the shaft is 22.5mm - as I measure it.
It is highly coated and quite slippery on all surfaces.
Anyone have any concerns about this washer/spacer configuration not staying tight?

Additionally

ZF manufactures these transmissions in 2 OEM configurations, plastic OEM pan - Type A, and steel OEM pan - Type B.
Do we believe that the female thread on the transmission case is threaded to the same depth or to different depths in Type A vs Type B.
Because:
We can actually obtain OEM bolts for the steel variant from ZF.
But those bolts, per the photo on the ZF website do NOT have a washer/spacer - the length is started to be 22.5mm - but it is unclear if that includes the cap or is just the shaft.
Assuming that 22.5mm is "working" shaft length then they will go 3.5mm deeper into the transmission case.
Should we source the bolts directly from ZF, and if we did so, will they actually work or might they not be compatible with the transmission case as manufactured for our
Type A plastic pan due to the above female thread depth possibility?

2. Correct fill port to use after the swap?
Ancient information on a Disco3 forum says that the steel pan has 1L less volume than our plastic pan.
And that using the original fill port, vs the fill port in the new steel pan, will result in a 1L overfill and will overheat the transmission.
But I have seen, and cannot locate, one detailed analysis of the internal pan volumes and that post was quite clear that the pans have equal volumes -
so there would be no issues in using the original fill port.
Yes, I have seen what AB shows on the video - but as above, I no longer trust them for detailed advice.
Thoughts?

Last edited:

ftillier

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought the fill port was on the side of the transmission housing, and only the drain hole was on the pan. If that is indeed the case, then fill-to-spill would get you the right level, but perhaps different volume.

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you measure the depth of the plastic pan, and the steel pan? That should confirm if there is a volume difference, although calculating the exact amount will be difficult.

The factory fill-to-spill method at a precise temp (40°C?) will result in the correct fluid level, regardless of pan capacity. Edit: This is using the port in the side of the transmission housing, NOT a port on the pan itself.

:albertein

Last edited:

alldazed

Reaction score
FWIW , I did the transmission service on a 3 series BMW that also uses the same ZF transmission as LR uses. I used the genuine plastic ZF pan as there was no access issues on the BMW.
I did the pan switch method on my ‘11 RRS with the AB kit with the metal pan. From memory it came with a BMW/ ZF sticker on the pan. I had the exact same amount left over in the last bottle of fluid on the RR as the bmw.
As for the bolt issue I can’t help as the kit AB sent only had the same bolts I took out. No washers or spacers and I’m sure they were the same length as the ones I removed.

txfromwi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was hoping to nail it all down before I opened it up, but we shall see...

On the bolts, that's easy once the pan is off.

And on the pan internal volume, that's also easy when I have them both in hand - fill one with water and see how that amount fills the other one.
Being sure to dry the new one thoroughly of course!

Yes, the fill to spill method is the correct method, but the plastic pan uses the fill/level port in the transmission case and the steel pan also allows use of a fill/level port in the pan.
If pan internal volumes are the same it wouldn't matter, but if the steel pan actually holds less fluid then using the fill port in the transmission case would result in an overfill.
At least that's the claim....

Either way I have enough fluid, but I really don't want to get this wrong....

Lots of great information out there in ZF internet land, but the pan change nitty gritty details vs some claims (that may or may not be correct) are proving hard to validate.

itsaguything

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only accurate instructions for maintenance on the ZF transmission, is from the authoritative source, ZF.
You will discover that the procedure involves the filling via the fill port to full. Then start the engine and while running the engine, bring the transmission to proper running temperature. Once temperature is reached, and while engine running, fill to spill via the fill port. These instructions can be found at zf.com.

As many of you, I would also only use ZF parts, including the bolts.

Last edited:

txfromwi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, I have many more pages from ZF than I ever thought I needed, much less wanted.

But not finding anything on ZF about which fill port to use when making the plastic to steel change.

Looks like I will need to contact them directly - if I learn anything of course I will report back here,

and if anyone knows the answer, that would be great !

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It will be impossible to use anything but the side port to fill the transmission. Filling from the bottom will just have the fluid dropping right back onto your face.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM