LR4 Transmission Fluid Change: Pan Swap Option

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mm3846

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was looking at the more expensive kit from AB and the only thing that looks different from the cheaper one is the gasket.
I recall the hardware looking different on one of the kits, it may have been one from L8.

The filter is different as well.

Yea it is, that didn’t matter much to me. I used a lube locker gasket anyway, so I didn’t care about the gasket.

CRYA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also used the lube locker and a spritz of gasket spray to keep her in place. I also definitely recommend a thread chaser. My screw holes definitely had gunk, debris, and grime presumably because I “use” my truck. If they are mainly street machines, I can imagine there wouldn’t be much junk in there.

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also used the lube locker and a spritz of gasket spray to keep her in place. I also definitely recommend a thread chaser. My screw holes definitely had gunk, debris, and grime presumably because I “use” my truck. If they are mainly street machines, I can imagine there wouldn’t be much junk in there.
Which Lube Locker gasket did you use? The one for the 6R80? Also I'll definitely need to chase my threads with a tap. Probably have sand inside mine at this point.

timc930

Full Access Member
Reaction score
See page 3 for initial fill.

See page 4 for the rest of the procedure. The procedure is in Celsius and is a range. You definitely want the thermostat to open, and you definitely want to check level after it cools to between the specified range.

I know it's confusing, but after holding rpms at 2000, you need to hold reverse for 10 seconds, drive for 10 seconds, then shift into D1 for 10 seconds, and then D2 for 10 seconds.

Then, you check temp. If within range, you speedily top off the pan before it gets too hot.

I'm getting ready to do this over the holidays on my wife's 2015 and have a few questions.

My understanding of the filling process:

STEPS:
1) Fill cold until fluid starts to run out. Start engine, continue to fill until fluid runs out. If Trans cooler present, overfill by .5, close fill hole and let engine run to open cooler valve until fluid temp < 75C. If cooler not present, you may not need to cool down, so you could continue with (3) if fluid is 30-50C.

2) Let Trans cool.

3) Start engine to get fluid to 30-50C, while the temp remains between 30-50 do the following:
a. Hold at 2k for 30sec's.
b. Come back to idle then select each gear, hold for 10secs
c. While at idle, open fill hole, if fluid comes out, let it flow until drips, if not add fluid until drips.

My questions:
1. If cooler is present, ZF wants an additional .5 of fluid in (1) above. How do you add additional fluid, if fluid is already running out???
2. I would think (in STEP (1)) it wants the T > 75C and not T < 75C for the valve to open.

Michael Gain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to do this over the holidays on my wife's 2015 and have a few questions.

My understanding of the filling process:

STEPS:
1) Fill cold until fluid starts to run out. Start engine, continue to fill until fluid runs out. If Trans cooler present, overfill by .5, close fill hole and let engine run to open cooler valve until fluid temp < 75C. If cooler not present, you may not need to cool down, so you could continue with (3) if fluid is 30-50C.

2) Let Trans cool.

3) Start engine to get fluid to 30-50C, while the temp remains between 30-50 do the following:
a. Hold at 2k for 30sec's.
b. Come back to idle then select each gear, hold for 10secs
c. While at idle, open fill hole, if fluid comes out, let it flow until drips, if not add fluid until drips.

My questions:
1. If cooler is present, ZF wants an additional .5 of fluid in (1) above. How do you add additional fluid, if fluid is already running out???
2. I would think (in STEP (1)) it wants the T > 75C and not T < 75C for the valve to open.

You need to start the engine before you open the fill plug. Otherwise, a lot of fluid will come out.

From cold, remove the transmission heat shield and LOOSEN fill plug slightly. Then start vehicle, remove plug, and start filling. Once it starts to drip, close fill plug and let it get up to temp for the thermostat to open.

You are probably right with the temp. It opens at around T>75.

After the gear selections, and adding more fluid, let it cool

I did it as a two day project. Follow all steps above. Then let it cool overnight. I then started it cold again and added about .35-.5L before buttoning it back up.

This way, you have filled the torque converter, allowed the thermostat to close while cool, filled the transmission cooler, and used thermal contraction to add the additional fluid it calls for.

LR4Slavo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went through the same process about 6 months ago on my 2010 - got the AB kit, used OEM ZF6 fluid and everything seemed to work great.

Now on colder days I'm noticing that when I drive the car first thing, there's a bit of a chase and hard shift from 2 to 3, this only happens once and then doesn't happen again until the next cold morning... anyone experience this? Im going to check my fluid level while warm to make sure it's not low.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
okamgba1463