LR4 Transmission Fluid Change: Pan Swap Option

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Al Pizzica

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am getting ready myself.

Check these out, these are really good, his videos are embedded in the website - it's the same transmission- he is working on a ZF6HP26, ours is a 28 - the only difference is the mechatronic and the firmware.

Overview https://aston1936.com/2018/12/23/the-aston-martin-db9-automatic-transmission/
Parts and Fluids https://aston1936.com/2020/10/12/pa...ic-transmission-fluid-in-an-aston-martin-db9/
Valve Seals and Bridge Seals https://aston1936.com/2020/11/02/ch...alve-and-bridge-seals-in-an-aston-martin-db9/
Draining Fluid, Removing Seals https://aston1936.com/2020/11/02/ch...alve-and-bridge-seals-in-an-aston-martin-db9/
Installing the Mechatronic https://aston1936.com/2020/11/05/in...utomatic-transmission-of-an-aston-martin-db9/
These are epic. Thank you.

Now I am wondering if my life will be easier if I take the time to remove the cross member to more carefully remove the mechatronic? I work at home and we have other vehicles so if it is taking up the garage for a long weekend it is not a bother. Thoughts anyone?

BznLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried removing the cross-member and quickly concluded that it was not worth the hassle.

I probably spent 20 minutes removing the four (or is it 5?) pan bolts. They're a PITA but just breathe through it and get it done...ain't that bad and not nearly as painful as actually removing the cross-member (IMO)

txfromwi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2013 & 2015 Houston TX. 2016 Rochester NY
I did the pan on the 2016 a couple of years ago.

I am getting ready for the 2013 and I have no intention of trying to remove the crossmember - just planning on being very careful with the mechatronic.

For working space:
Get some leveling blocks and raise it up an inch on the blocks.
It needs to be flat and level when filling.
If you are in a standard suburban garage, the slope over our wheelbase is 1", so if you use 1" block in front you need 2" block in back.
Then raise is up into offroad height.
And set the parking brake and chock the wheels.

Plenty of space to work.
When the mechatronic is removed there is zero connection between the truck and the transmission - so chocks and parking brake are essential.

And schedule this so the re-fill is when outside temperatures are less than 70F or so.
You need to hit the transmission fill temp between 30-50C, and in one place ZF says as close to 40C as possible.
I know from experience if it is too warm outside that your time window between 30-50C gets too small to get the work done - the colder outside the better.
You will need an IIDTool to measure transmission fluid temperature.

Al Pizzica

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, its freezing here so I don't think it will be a problem!

Serendipitously, Samcrac just went through this with his easier to acess 06 RR, you can skip to about 4 mins in:

He decided to do the zipfix kit and valve body separator plate. Hmmmmmm.....

Al Pizzica

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have embarked on this project and the first issue I ran into was not having a T-40 short enough in the front and back behind the cross members.
My solution is pictured. A Bosch T-40 bit duck taped into at 1/4" closed end wrench. Works like and absolute champ. I just undid the front and back ones in less than 5 mins.
Happy New year, all. Hope to hit this a little bit each day this week. Doing everything but the solenoids. The Sonnex Zip Fix kit arrived and I am very impressed with the directions. Like super Legos.

Attachments

• PXL_20240101_214944705.jpg
    PXL_20240101_214944705.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 24

RoverTide

Reaction score
Made the same tool when I did mine... works perfect. Unfortunately, a torque wrench won't fit on those tough to reach bolts when putting it back together... have to do those by feel. Helps to jack up the transmission, but still couldn't get all of them. This was one of those maintenance jobs where I could feel the improvement in the way the car shifted/drove. Love those repairs.... unlike the damn crossover pipe job. Cheers.

Al Pizzica

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That set is sweet, how could I not spend $12 on that? Will show up after the job is done but handy to have, thanks!

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That set is sweet, how could I not spend $12 on that? Will show up after the job is done but handy to have, thanks!

I'll warn you that the torx bits themselves in that kit aren't the best quality, but any standard bit works in the ratcheting wrench itself.

Al Pizzica

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Perhaps a dumb question (but there aren't any):
What gear should I be in when I go to pull the Mechatronics unit?
The Aston martin links talk about zip tying the emergency gear selector into neutral from park but why would I not just shift to neutral normally? I can do that without starting the engine. TIA

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72