LR4 vs Defender

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kenneth Kahan

Reaction score
Its great that everyone here wants to compare the Defender to the LR whatever but its strange that no one is prefacing with the fact that it hasn't been marketed for or intended to be a replacement for those vehicles. It happens to be similar size and some features but beyond that it is its own animal and one should decide if they want to change vehicle types intended for slightly different purposes.

morrisdl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im not so sure...LR3/4 and Defender2 are all the MOST capable off-road land rovers offered of their respective era's. ** Well in north america i should say. They all also happen to be VERY similar sized, with exception of the Defender2 being just a too short (1.7M / 5'6") to sleep in - big bummer there. 'LR5' was clearly moved in a different directions to make room in the lineup for Defender2.

morrisdl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
RTT Look super cool, but not great option for east-coast wheeling.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I actually looked it up, as that solution would solve several problems for me. For a custom designed, high quality lightweight hard shell tent that you can deploy in 10 seconds, the estimated price is not outrageous actually (the non-bespoke offerings from Autohome, which manufactures this one for Land Rover, start at $3,000 and go way up from there), but that's still a lot of dough for a tent, no matter how you slice it. And, you'd need the expedition roof rack - another $1850 - to fit it. And, the car would no longer fit in my garage with the tent on the roof. Even at a relatively svelte 140 lbs, I am sure it would be a 2-people job to mount and remove it before or after a camping trip. Still, it's a pretty cool setup for people like me who often primitive camp in deserts and mountains here on the West Coast.

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those tents look cool and convenient, but after doing serious wheeling with a couple hundred pounds of crap on the roof, I swore never again.

That experience was what drove me to build a sleeping platform and figure out a way to mount everything low on the truck. My rack really just serves as viewing platform at this point with my bridging ladders used as flat flooring for the rack.

My advice to everyone on roof tents, is to proceed with caution.

LR4USN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pricing - Sadly SWFL dealers are adding a 'Market Adjustment'.

LR Ft Myers - 5K
LR Naples - 10K

LR Ft. Myers added, $12k to the priced with the exp roof rack, snorkel, side box, 20 in off-road tires to a First Edition (FE) - $74 sticker - $5k MA so it was right at 90k

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Izanagi