LR4 windshield replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Troy A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I did a quick search on forum titles and didn't see much so thought I'd post. If I missed any long threads on this, feel free to refer me over to them.

I have a split that has developed from the roof straight down through the windshield on the passenger side that's about 1/3 of the way towards the hood of the truck - so probably about 8"-10" long. Seems more like a windshield replacement than a get-it-patched type situation.

I have the heated windshield with the squiggly lines in it that make my vision crazy at night but live in California so I don't really see the point in keeping the heated windshield.

I've received estimates from a few shops here in town that range from $260 all the way to about $500 all-in (parts & labor) depending on if I go unheated or heated glass elements. I'm assuming but have not confirmed that every one of those quotes is using aftermarket glass since one did come back with a note saying that the OEM windshield is $1275 just for the glass!

Does this all sound correct? Any of you replaced your windshields? Did you go with the expensive OEM or use aftermarket? Anybody give up their heated windshield and just replace it with one without?

Apparently both versions have the rain sensor bracket on them so that should not be impacted either way.

Thanks in advance for any help from the tribe here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BeViking

Reaction score
I need this exact same data myself, and have been surprised to not find much on the topic. Literally, your post could have been written to my situation almost exactly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Troy A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I need this exact same data myself, and have been surprised to not find much on the topic. Literally, your post could have been written to my situation almost exactly.

Maybe we can add to our list of "stuff to do the LR4 on a revised schedule" - 75K miles - replace window. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BeViking

Reaction score
For real! Mine is lower and less visible, and probably shouldn’t bother me... so I’m trying not to care, but as you are aware, it’s like an unscratchable (not a real word, it’s fine) ITCH!
b54acfd5a91d7392a09ee64f20808242.jpg

380d3a96b0f2ba7162e9f8cc8f25eff5.jpg

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had my heated windshield replaced about a year ago - asked for Pilkington, but didn’t insist on LR OEM. Seems the same as the original. Heat and rain sensor still works (although we hardly see rain). I used my insurance, but those prices sound about right (I’m in the SF Bay area).

One month later - new chip in the glass from a rock. I don’t think this is the fault of the glass though, just bad luck. Also, my understanding is that the LR4 windshield is susceptible to chips/cracks because it sits up at a pretty high angle. I’ve been on numerous fire roads, etc. since and still only that one new chip.

I think the main problems with replacing the windshield are (a) the cowling at the bottom can get a little warped, and (b) the side trim pieces need to be reattached properly. Ask the repair company to get new LR clips for the trim pieces as the old ones can’t be reused very well. Even with the new clips, my side trim piece came apart on the road right after replacement - nearly flew off, but I pulled over in time to catch it. The glass company came back out and fixed it without a problem, but might want to give them a little tug to make sure they’re on tight.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have hit all the high notes on this. Where we ;live windshields are replaced every 1-3 years due to the gravel spread on the roads in the winter. I have had every make of glass under the sun for the LR3/4 (Benson, Pilkington, Fayao, PPG) and can't really tell the difference. The heated lines are always a distraction and I am on the fence about putting up with them even though I live in a 6 moth winter climate.. If I lived in California I would put a non heated version in there immediately.

Always new clips on the A pillar garnish.

DaytonaRS7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
for some reason I assume everyone has glass coverage on their car? I know the cost of it is pennies compared to out of pocket cost.

Pilkington is the brand to get, if you must get aftermarket.

i would highly suggest OEM though. especially if insurance is paying for it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut