Machining Rotors?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jesus_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone know the spec for when rotors can no longer be turned or machined? My front pads are due to replace and there is probably a 1/16"+ lip around the edge of the rotor. Can I turn them or should I replace?

I know what pads I want, so if I need to replace rotors, what are recommendations? I'll also be searching the threads. I couldn't find rotor spec info, but I haven't searched rotor replacement. Thanks!

J.D.

StevenJ_AK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My dealer informed me that rotors where unable to be machined. The brake shop told me the same, saying it was just like a BMW and if they turn the rotors there use a 90% chance I will expierencd uneven wear while will cause wobble and wheel shake under braking so I chose to replace rotors with ones I bought from Atlantic British to save some money from my dealer.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the most part, factory rotors can not be resurfaced. If your brakes don't shake from warped rotors, then leave them alone and install your new rotors.
How many miles on your rotors and who's pads are you going to be using?

jesus_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the most part, factory rotors can not be resurfaced. If your brakes don't shake from warped rotors, then leave them alone and install your new rotors.
How many miles on your rotors and who's pads are you going to be using?

I am guessing they could be the original rotors with around 60k on them.

Was going with Akebono pads. Have them on the rear and looking so forward to no brake dust!!

So now i need to find a good set of rotors quick. Need the car for a trip on June 9th...

J.D.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No you don't, I have nearly 100,000 on my DBA rotors and am running Akebons with great results.
As long as your brakes are not shaking when hot, leave the rotors alone.

jesus_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Local dealer is $95 for a new genuine rotor.

Found them cheaper online, but waiting for someone to call me back as I think their shipping is off.

Mike - I am worried about the rotors. How long should I expect these Akebono pads to last. If we're talking 20-30k, then these rotors might be ok (assuming they do indeed have 60k on them), but if the pads may last longer, I think I'll just replace rotors and avoid future warping issues.

What DBA rotors you get? I see there are several styles.

Oh, if I have the warning light in the cab, do I have to replace sensor? I was told yes. Also only one sensor on the front?

J.D.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I doubt you need rotors, no since spending the money if not needed. On a LR3 I am hearing 40,000 plus with the Akebono pads, depending on how you drive.

jesus_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I doubt you need rotors, no since spending the money if not needed. On a LR3 I am hearing 40,000 plus with the Akebono pads, depending on how you drive.

I am all about saving money when I can Mike, but these rotors don't look to have another 40k in them. Even tho I understand the akebono pads are a little more rotor friendly. So I bit the bullet and bought new ones. Found them for just over $75 ea.

All told doing new front brakes with sensor for $280. That's OEM rotors, OEM sensor, Akebone EUR1098's. Still pretty expensive, but what on an LR isn't?

Just hope they arrive early next week so I can R&R!!

J.D.

jesus_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got my brakes done before the trip. The ear piercing squeak is gone! The guards on the base thank me for that! And the brake dust has not returned either!! I don't think I lost any braking force, but I don't drive it all that much, so my wife may be the better person to ask for that! Put a few hundred miles on it and all seems well!

J.D.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99