My LR4 in 2012 off-road and in-Africa

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello mbw,

I can offer my advice/experience on a few of those items. I have the Voyager rack and ladder, but my sliders are from GN Vehicle Protection out of the UK (they no longer offer sliders for the LR4). I really like the Voyager rack, especially since it installs without the need for the short/long rails. If you have the OEM rails attached, you may want to go with the Baja rack. My only advice about the Voyager rack is DO NOT have them install the wind fairing, as I am not happy with mine - it is a weird material that bowed and I had to have a new one made. For my next rack, I would go with the Voyager rack, but the off-road edition without the wind fairing.

The ladder is really nice and you can't beat the quality or price. I have the standard ladder, because the ladder with the extra rung blocks the back-up camera. My only suggestion when you install to make sure that the body panels go back to normal, as there is a gap where the ladder fits behind the back latch handle. I can snap a photo to show you, but I have to still dremel some of it so it's flush - not sure if that's just how it was installed or the ladder itself.

As far as underbody protection, I have the front skid plate from GN Vehicle Protection, but they no longer make them as well.

I hope that helps!

Regards, David

Thanks, any info would be great.

I like the idea of a rack, for its utility. I am a little concerned about MPG impact and wind noise. I am also curious about how they split the rack up, the front part seems higher than the rear section. Flooring might be useful also, but again, if its got the mesh floor that cant help wind noise or fuel mileage. How hard is it to remove the rack? The ladder also, is it something you can remove when not using the rack?

My 13' lr4 is on order, so I have a little time to research this stuff while I wait for it. I am planning a trip down to florida later this summer, and it is not far from where voyager is. Thought I could save on some shipping if it works out.

Land Rover Joe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dear All,

Hope everyone is well. To “answer the mail-”

David-thanks and Andy Nix from Rover Racks (now Voyager Racks) made the faring for the roof rack; thus it “came with” my Voyager Rack. Andy was always curious how it performed, and I think it really helps. I believe you (or perhaps someone else) asked me what I thought of it previously, and I think it is a needed piece of kit for highway driving (at speed). But two improvements I have thought of: 1) bolt it on rather than glue it so you can remove it if you want/need (like accessory lights); 2) make the side pieces longer and fit to where the rack moves up and curves with the roof of the vehicle. Ostensibly this would make it more aerodynamic and I think look a bit cleaner. In terms of the texture/color of the material (mine is some form of plastic, perhaps light fiberglass), I am rather undecided, but black seems alright (especially for you as you like black!) A good friend once did tell me that it makes the truck look like a hearse.

I didn’t know you had problem with your faring. I glued mine on (Andy didn’t do it), but I think it was a custom, one-off job and not the same as the faring you have. Perhaps the gluing strengthens the faring and keeps it from rattling around?

Brokenneckcp,

NASdiesel is correct: those are Goodyear Wrangler MTR’s! I had written some time ago in a previous post about the tires. Bottom Line: great tire, but Goodyear no longer makes the MTR (now with Kevlar sidewalls) in our 19” tire (…?!@%!) Hopefully they will start production in our size again…but for now, David seems to be the tire guru and the Cooper Zeon’s appear to be the best tire in 19”. As everyone has commented on…you could always get the neato Compomotive 18” rims and fit better off-road tires. But, that requires more money…and some of us are married (not to our trucks).

MBW,

The front (or engine sump) skid plate is OEM. Only reason it is OEM is because I wanted it installed before I shipped the truck to Africa and didn’t have much time to do homework on a then new production vehicle. Lots of folks make engine sump skid plates in steel or aluminum…and you will need to match the engine plate with a heavy bumper if you will be installing an after-market bumper. Honestly though, the OEM skid plate (made by MANTECH in the UK I believe) looks pretty sharp and works great: I have actually broken big rocks into little rocks with it and it doesn’t even look scratched.

The Voyager rack is pretty easy and straightforward to install…if you have three-four people when you actually put the rack on. The steel is quality and well-worked (welded and powder coated). The danger with the rack is overloading it and stressing the roof…not the strength of the rack! As David said-the ladder is also a “must have” item and is pretty easy to install. There are a few little things which are annoying, such as what David mentioned about the ladder rungs interfering with the rear camera and the spacing of the rear door latch assembly (I am also fiddling with this and hope it is not the cause of my camera fault problem), but the accessories have been very much used by me and I always recommend Voyager Rack’s gear to folks when they ask. If you want some specifics send me a PM and I can reply.

The “frame sliders” are a bit more complicated. They are not really frame sliders at all…but sill protectors. I have jacked straight from the “frame sliders” with my hi-lift (and have photos)…but at great risk. The sills aren’t strong enough to support the weight of the vehicle alone and were never designed for that (and I did speak with a Land Rover engineer who confirmed that was a really bad idea). In terms of acting as a sill guard and nerf-bar/step, however, they have seen a lot of use. One would be amazed how much banging into things one does while driving about. Trees, tree stumps, big rocks, little rocks, brush, etc. The door is curved out, which gives you more room and looks fancy…but means it sticks out of the trail and bangs into things; the sill guards with nerf bars help keep things in check. Thus, if you are really going off-road, you need the “frame sliders.” Please check out Tactical Rovers frame slider, as I think the square shape is nicer and they have a model that will bolt to the frame and protect some other sensitive stuff down there like the air compressor assembly (you don’t want a big rock to take that out of action!) I think that would be a better choice. As I mentioned in my “wish list,” I want a custom steel sill guard with square nerf bars/steps that will protect more underbody as well as bolt directly to the frame and incorporate outriggers to jack directly with a Hi-Lift.

The other underbody protection by Rasta 4X4 has been pretty well used as well. In French, skid plates are called “skis”, which I always thought was really silly…until I was driving in deep sand and literally was skiing on the sand! You can hear the sand and rocks whooshing and banging under the plates. This really happens because the EAS brings you down to mid-range height and the ruts or tracks are dug in by vehicles with a higher suspension height. Anyway-all of those have gotten some workouts and done well. I like the aluminum plates and think Rasta does a good job—and is quick to deliver and professional. Be forewarned, however, that the plates are tricky to install. What I thought would be a morning job ended up taking three days and I needed a lot of help from my bush mechanic (I even had to pay him for this job). He had to fabricate some parts to hold bolts and nuts in place while you are getting everything aligned. Of course, once you finally figure out the system it makes it easier to take the plates on and off…but they can still be a bit troublesome to fiddle with. In my case, these have in fact proven invaluable to protect the transmission and transfer case, so well worth the money and time (the aluminum radiator guards, which are a big pain in the butt to install, may not be as worth it—that depends on you).

To get back to your final posting: all the accessories were used off-road. I can’t tell you if we would have broken something without the gear…but it is certainly possible looking back on it. And the roof-rack is really useful (which means you need the ladder…how to you plan on getting up there?) I did make custom flooring for my rack (wood), and would recommend that you use some kind of flooring. In terms of wind noise…there is noise, even with my faring, but it is not too bad. In terms of fuel economy…all I can say is that it is a high-performance V8 5.0L engine and is going to eat gas. All this junk bolted onto the vehicle will naturally make it less streamlined, heavier, and less fuel efficient (again, assuming the LR4 could be considered a fuel efficient machine).

One thing I had asked the forum a few weeks back regards a product which is made in South Africa and allows you to raise your roof rack up to the ceiling of your garage and store it there when not needed; it uses hooks and wires with a gearing system so you can raise and lower your roof rack solo (assuming it is balanced). This seems like a good compromise for folks who want to do off-roading on weekends and get-aways but don’t want to deal with all that junk on the roof when driving around town (particularly with height clearance, noise, etc). I am thinking about getting one for when/if I go back to the states or Europe and bring the LR4. Perhaps you would be interested in this?

Best to everyone!
Land Rover Joe

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Joe! Great info.

I think I would want to invest in a pulley based rack lift for the garage ceiling if I got a rack. I may just have to wait and talk to Voyager at some point. I think I am interested in the sill steps they have.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Land Rover Joe never ceases to amaze me with his thorough posts and awesome pictures of his LR4 in Africa. Thanks so much!

Land Rover Joe said, "David-thanks and Andy Nix from Rover Racks (now Voyager Racks) made the faring for the roof rack; thus it “came with” my Voyager Rack. Andy was always curious how it performed, and I think it really helps. I believe you (or perhaps someone else) asked me what I thought of it previously, and I think it is a needed piece of kit for highway driving (at speed)."

I got the Voyager half-rack for my LR4 (I wish I got the full rack now, but for my next truck for sure) and ordered the wind fairing through Voyager Racks. Andy Nix offered me a good deal when I ordered the rack and the ladder. The wind fairing works well, but it is rather sloppy in my opinion. It is definitely extremely sturdy - I mean it could withstand a hurricane!!! Basically it's a very thick piece of black plexiglass type material (about 1/2" thick) with 8 giant bolts through it. The bolts have caps for the front (so that looks good), but they stick through the back about 1 inch - kind of looks stupid, but I am planning to get smaller bolts and caps to make it look more finished. The quality is great, but it just looks a bit homemade and shabby. In addition, the wind fairing is slightly bowed (from when I got it). My plans are to finally make the time to take the wind fairing off, have a local plastic company cut a new fairing, drill the holes, and then bolt it back up with more proper bolts that look good. I really like how your wind fairing wraps around the sides, it makes it look more finished... mine does not look like that at all.

Land Rover Joe said, "Goodyear no longer makes the MTR (now with Kevlar sidewalls) in our 19” tire (…?!@%!) Hopefully they will start production in our size again"

AMEN! It would be awesome if they made the MTRs for our 19" wheels (255/55/R19), but I am not sure it will happen anytime soon. Not that long ago I called Goodyear and inquired if there were plans to make them again and they said at this point there are none, but maybe if demand in the future increases. Oh well. Until then, the Coopers are probably the best bet - short of getting the Compomotives. I too just don't want to dish out the money at this time - especially as I decide if I am keeping my truck more long term or trading it in for a 2013 this year.

Land Rover Joe said, "There are a few little things which are annoying, such as what David mentioned about the ladder rungs interfering with the rear camera and the spacing of the rear door latch assembly (I am also fiddling with this and hope it is not the cause of my camera fault problem)"

If you find a way to solve that silly spacing in the rear door latch assembly, please let me know. I was not sure if it was just my installation, but from what I am gathering, it is universal. I got the standard ladder because I did not want it to interfere with my camera. I thought about using a dremel tool and making a groove in the metal on the ladder so it fits more flush and prevent that space. Like you, I worry about water getting inside there and damaging something. Keep me posted!

Thanks again!

-David

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Land Rover Joe said, "Goodyear no longer makes the MTR (now with Kevlar sidewalls) in our 19” tire (…?!@%!) Hopefully they will start production in our size again"

AMEN! It would be awesome if they made the MTRs for our 19" wheels (255/55/R19), but I am not sure it will happen anytime soon. Not that long ago I called Goodyear and inquired if there were plans to make them again and they said at this point there are none, but maybe if demand in the future increases.

In North America we get screwed yet again, but Goodyear has just introduced a 255/55/19 size of their acclaimed Wrangler DuraTrac off-road tires over in Europe. That's a close relative to the now defunct MTR, perhaps a bit less aggressive but surely with better road manners, higher speed rating, etc. Not sure if Goodyear in Africa sources its tires from Europe or not, but it's probably worth inquiring with your nearest Goodyear dealer. There are no immediate plans to introduce this size tire here in the US, unfortunately. You should be able to order the tire in Europe as of right now.

http://www.goodyear.eu/home_en/news...ler-duratrac-to-european-production/index.htm

http://www.**************/gallery/albums/userpics/18918/IMG_0222.JPG (replace the **********" with disco3 . co . uk - without spaces - in the URL.)

"Originally engineered and developed in the US", but the size we want is available only in Europe. :mad:

Last edited:

Land Rover Joe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mbw,

Long time to reply. For the roof rack hoist, check out the south african firm FREDLIN online. You can see their hoist and I assume they can ship to the US.

To all,

Hope we can get our MTR's with Kevlar in 19"!

Best,
Land Rover Joe

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72