My LR4 in 2012 off-road and in-Africa

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Land Rover Joe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dear Fellow Land Rover Enthusiasts,

Happy New Year to all! I wanted to post my best pictures of my LR4 in action in Africa (off road, of course). These are my some of my favorite LR4 action shots of 2012 and if anyone is wondering—those pix are all real and taken by yours truly on-location. The LR4 has proven to be a superb off-road machine thus far; I do have some relatively minor technical issues and such, but she has really performed and not yet let me down—even hundreds of miles from anywhere in Africa.

Major improvements in 2012 include Rasta 4X4 engine + gearbox skid plates along with radiator shields, Stop Tech stainless steel brake lines with DOT 5.1 brake fluid, and some underbody + body (paint) experiments (including a host of Griot’s Garage stuff).

2013’s wish list includes the MSV-2 by Black box solutions, Green Oval’s air suspension kit [“EAS emergency inflation kit”], custom front bumper with winch (by Tactical Rovers), (new) custom skid plate/sill guar/nerf bar/ heavy jack point [frame outrigger], custom rear bumper (by Kymar) with dual spares, auxiliary fuel tank, auxiliary lighting, auxiliary battery, fuel tank skid plate (s). Unless I win the lottery, I will probably wait because it looks like I will be leaving Africa for a bit, but I might treat myself to the MSV-2 and maybe Green Oval’s kit; I do not anticipate a real need for the tough off-road accessories in the states or Europe.

Hope folks enjoy the pictures and please have fun and be safe driving your trucks in 2013!

Cheers,
Land Rover Joe

Attachments

• LR4 2012 Pix 1 (Post).jpg
    LR4 2012 Pix 1 (Post).jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 110
  • LR4 2012 Pix 4 (Post).jpg
    LR4 2012 Pix 4 (Post).jpg
    72 KB · Views: 135
  • LR4 2012 Pix 5 (Post).jpg
    LR4 2012 Pix 5 (Post).jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 117
  • LR4 2012 Pix 8 (Post).jpg
    LR4 2012 Pix 8 (Post).jpg
    73 KB · Views: 116
  • LR4 2012 Pix 2 (Post).jpg
    LR4 2012 Pix 2 (Post).jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 128

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Land Rover Joe,

Those are some awesome pictures - very nice!!! You are really using the LR4 for what it is intended in its natural environment.

You probably answered this in a previous post, sorry for asking again, but where did you get that wind fairing on your rack?

Thanks again! I REALLY need to take some updated photos.

-David

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
simply amazing...
Amen!

Hey... I saw on another post you are trading in the LR4 for a 2013 RR HSE... Very cool!!! I hope you will share your experiences and photos of the new RR.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could you tell us more about the Rasta 4X4 engine + gearbox skid plates and the rack/ladder/sliders from Voyager? Did they all install easily, any modification?

What front skid plate is that? OEM?

I am considering the sliders with steps as a first mod. I am not sure yet about a rack. I also want to find underbody protection. (I plan on doing some off roading, nothing as serious as what you do, but i want the truck to be ready for anything)

Last edited:

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could you tell us more about the Rasta 4X4 engine + gearbox skid plates and the rack/ladder/sliders from Voyager? Did they all install easily, any modification?

What front skid plate is that? OEM?

I am considering the sliders with steps as a first mod. I am not sure yet about a rack. I also want to find underbody protection. (I plan on doing some off roading, nothing as serious as what you do, but i want the truck to be ready for anything)
Hello mbw,

I can offer my advice/experience on a few of those items. I have the Voyager rack and ladder, but my sliders are from GN Vehicle Protection out of the UK (they no longer offer sliders for the LR4). I really like the Voyager rack, especially since it installs without the need for the short/long rails. If you have the OEM rails attached, you may want to go with the Baja rack. My only advice about the Voyager rack is DO NOT have them install the wind fairing, as I am not happy with mine - it is a weird material that bowed and I had to have a new one made. For my next rack, I would go with the Voyager rack, but the off-road edition without the wind fairing.

The ladder is really nice and you can't beat the quality or price. I have the standard ladder, because the ladder with the extra rung blocks the back-up camera. My only suggestion when you install to make sure that the body panels go back to normal, as there is a gap where the ladder fits behind the back latch handle. I can snap a photo to show you, but I have to still dremel some of it so it's flush - not sure if that's just how it was installed or the ladder itself.

As far as underbody protection, I have the front skid plate from GN Vehicle Protection, but they no longer make them as well.

I hope that helps!

Regards, David

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72