New 18" tire on the market

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jzk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Adam blew a hole somehow in his sidewall on Poughkipse during the rally, which was almost impassible, so we did not tackle that as some of us did not have rock sliders or bottom protection.

Jim:hello:

As luck would have it, I also blew my sidewall on Poughkipse of my trusty Wrangler HPs. I did have a spare spare with me, however.

He blew the sidewall of a Cooper? By the way, about half the trucks in our group made it up Poughkipse, as did an LR3 on another day.

DefenderFanCA

Reaction score
Great pics, and thanks for the report.

Any comment on highway road noise, particularly compared to other tire choices?

Thanks!

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My wife is dead set on an RRS, so this combo would have purpose when I turn in the LR3 in 23 months.

Just FYI, you could mount 18" rims on a Sport, as long as you don't own a Supercharged (the front Brembos are the problem, nothing smaller than 19" will fit over them). The 20s would work for relatively rock-free terrains, I guess. But with a 45 profile your beautiful rims would be in great danger of getting damaged.

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And just who might that be?

I defy you to find the dent in the door just above my brand new set of sliders...

(when we put the plastic trim piece back on, it turns out that the dent is completely behind it and not visible whatsoever. How lucky is that?

LOL, looking good JZK.
I am getting confused so many people and so many forums. Are you John the kind gentleman formally from...Texas(?) that gave me a ride to the Friday night shinding, or are you John the magazine binderer from Chicago?

It was John from Chicago that I was referring to with the ding. Ironically, Ray from Vancouver (demo vehicle with the silders) had a pre-existing ding on the same side!

jzk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
John from Chicago. The dent ended up being completely covered by the plastic trim when we put it back on.

new06

Reaction score
whats the size difference on these tires from stock? How off does it make the speedo?

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my website I provide some basic size info and a tire calculator. But for speed comparisons, with the 31.5" Coopers or Nitto's, your speedo will say 65 and you are probably only traveling 60-61mph. (edited 08/29/07)

http://blog.nextstepdesigns.com/?p=46 for list of tires and info

Generally, you are limited to just under 32″ dia tires for the LR3. People have reported minor rubbing with 32″ tires, and slight rubbing with 31.5″ tires.
General size comparison numbers:
- Tire size calculator: www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html
265×60x18 = 30.5″
275×60x18 = 31″
285×60x18 = 31.46″
275×65x18 = 32 (probably too big)

Last edited:

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
circumference = pi X D so, (31.5 X 3.14)/(30X3.14)=98.91/94.2=1.05 or 5% more inches (or fractions of a mile) per revolution
So if the speedo says 60, you're really going 63. Or am I way too far out of high school?

new06

Reaction score
thanks guys. I actually found a calculator on Discount Tires website also. I assume nwoods that you had it reversed in your post because a bigger tire should show a faster speed than the stock, correct? Discount's site shows about a 4 mph difference.

dugedug

Reaction score
thanks guys. I actually found a calculator on Discount Tires website also. I assume nwoods that you had it reversed in your post because a bigger tire should show a faster speed than the stock, correct? Discount's site shows about a 4 mph difference.

Wrong, smaller tire = increased speedo. Smaller tires take more revolutions to cover the same length of road.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
helge