New Tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On our LR3, we are on our second set of Hakkapeliitta R SUV winter tires. I got them from Tires by Web:

http://www.tiresbyweb.com/tbw_tires...=19&Winter=1&Pageindex=1&choice2=NOKIAN TIRES

For the LR4, I just ordered a set of Hallapeliitta R2 SUV winter tires. The R2 version is supposed to be better in slush that the original R version. Here in the Boston area along the coast it often rains before or after it snows. I just bought these local at Kenwood Tire in Bridgewater, MA. They beat the Tires by Web price and included installation. I picked up a set of used LR3 wheels on ebay to put the winter tires on.

If you want a year-round Nokian tire, go with the WRG2.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On our LR3, we are on our second set of Hakkapeliitta R SUV winter tires. I got them from Tires by Web:

http://www.tiresbyweb.com/tbw_tires...=19&Winter=1&Pageindex=1&choice2=NOKIAN TIRES

For the LR4, I just ordered a set of Hallapeliitta R2 SUV winter tires. The R2 version is supposed to be better in slush that the original R version. Here in the Boston area along the coast it often rains before or after it snows. I just bought these local at Kenwood Tire in Bridgewater, MA. They beat the Tires by Web price and included installation. I picked up a set of used LR3 wheels on ebay to put the winter tires on.

Excellent. That's not too far from me. I'll get those for winter.

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score

If you want a year-round Nokian tire, go with the WRG2.

Thank you Paul.
The R2 is the one I was looking at based on Nokian's website. The WRG2 seems great but I'd be worried to take it off-road. Too bad they don't make their AT tire in our size.
I assume you got 19" used LR3 wheels... Or did you get 18s... Been looking into that but I am still not sure if it'd work...

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Went with used 19" LR3 wheels. I'm not sure if 18" wheels clear our brake rotors. Also, keep in mind that the LR4 TPMS sensors are different from LR3 TPMS sensors. So don't worry if you find used LR3 wheels without sensors. You need to buy new LR4 sensors anyway.

Wusty

Reaction score
They forgot to mention these Coopers are also the ONLY All Terrains that come in size 255/55/19... I guess that automatically qualifies them as the best out there, but there are tons of winter tires that are way better than these Coopers over snow or ice.

I went through 3 sets of Cooper Zeon LTZs on my old Sport (the 18" version) and I liked them a lot on just about every dry and wet surface, except in mud and ice/snow, where I felt they were mediocre at best (they did well enough on groomed snowy roads, but every tire does well on groomed snow.... As soon as things got a bit slippery and icy, they were all over the place like most other non-winter tires.) I also disliked that they got noisy in a hurry past the 15-20k miles, although they started out pretty much as quiet as the stock summer Contis. As long as you understand these are no substitutes for winter tires though, they are great all-around performers.

Well I'm going to do Blizzak DM-V1's for my winter tire & in the spring ditch my stock Conti's and get the Cooper's as my A/T tire. I love how the Coopers looked on the LR4 and I've had 3 sets of Blizzaks on my past 3 Audi S4's (And will be running them on my 2013 Audi S4 this winter as well) the Blizzak's are just amazing.

dpoltz

Reaction score

Attachments

• gy_wrang_atadvkev_ci2_l.jpg
    gy_wrang_atadvkev_ci2_l.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 109

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I'm going to do Blizzak DM-V1's for my winter tire & in the spring ditch my stock Conti's and get the Cooper's as my A/T tire. I love how the Coopers looked on the LR4 and I've had 3 sets of Blizzaks on my past 3 Audi S4's (And will be running them on my 2013 Audi S4 this winter as well) the Blizzak's are just amazing.

Have you ever tried Nokian Hakkapeliitta tires?

I am wondering because I have been reading reviews right and left but can't seem to find comparison tests...

The price differs by $40 or $50 dollars per tire.

Are the Blizzak DM V1 as good for less money? Is Nokian overcharging for their tires?

I've only had General Altimax and Dunlop 3D on a BMW awd and can only say that the General tires are fantastic on snow and ice and horrendous on dry pavement while being just average on wet. The Dunlop are pretty good overall.

I wouldn't mind spending about $200 less for the blizzaks if they are worth it...

Any further advice would be appreciated.

Wusty

Reaction score
Have you ever tried Nokian Hakkapeliitta tires?

I am wondering because I have been reading reviews right and left but can't seem to find comparison tests...

The price differs by $40 or $50 dollars per tire.

Are the Blizzak DM V1 as good for less money? Is Nokian overcharging for their tires?

I've only had General Altimax and Dunlop 3D on a BMW awd and can only say that the General tires are fantastic on snow and ice and horrendous on dry pavement while being just average on wet. The Dunlop are pretty good overall.

I wouldn't mind spending about $200 less for the blizzaks if they are worth it...

Any further advice would be appreciated.

I've never tried the Nokian's but I would 100% stand behind the Blizzak's. They are seriously amazing and handle wonderfully on standard dry roads as well. I would say save the money and go Blizzak's all day.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AxelR, on my previous Audis I ran the Dunlop 3D winter tires as well. Good in snow and decent dry handling as well. But for the LR4, the issue isn't handling or traction to get going. It's all about stopping and turning this heavy vehicle on ice & slush. From what I was told and I agree from my experience, Nokian winter tires are the best because they retain their winter tire qualities as they wear. Other brands become more like all-season tires as they wear. Now that I'm on my second set of Nokian winter tires on our LR3, I can't imagine buying any other winter tire. I was able to get 3 winters out of a set while driving about 8000 miles per winter due to weekend ski trips. And I probably could have gotten another winter out of the last set before they were down to the wear bars.

C4SumLR4

Reaction score
General Grabber AT/2

We had an '06 LR3 SE. After we purchased it, we replaced the stock Wrangler SR/A tires (which were horribly loud and wearing uneven in the rear due to mal-alignment). I ordered a set of General Grabber AT/2 tires from Tirerack.com and had them shipped to the dealer who put them on after a full alignment. That was at 18K miles. The tires were supremely capable in the snow as we dealt with East coast blizzards in 2009 and subsequent visits to Lake Tahoe ski trips after our move to the West coast. Very economical tire cost upfront, despite losing about 1 mpg using an all terrain tire instead of all season. You definitely lost a small margin of turn-in capability in the corners on pavement, but I was happy to trade that off as I don't drive it like an M3 and would happily take the increased off-roadability with those tires. We drove on those tires for 40K miles and still had an estimated 1/3 life left when we (regrettably) sold the LR3. Anyway, worth the switch for us. They were markedly quieter than those Wrangler SR/A's... I also had those as stock tires on a Nissan Titan and am very happy I replaced them, too. Good luck!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM