OEM Side Steps - Rust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheWidup

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First true winter of having the '13 LR4. It came with the OEM steps (which I like regardless of what others think or feel) and I'm noticing a lot of rust lines appearing on the garage floor. I'm also seeing hints of rust near the plastic step edges. Is this normal or a cause for concern?

TheWidup

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haha! Guess I should phrase the question differently. Is it worth the time to pull them off and try to remediate this or should I simply start planning on the death of these boards and investigate some Rhino Steps/Sliders or something? The steps are a requirement as the family likes them too much to give them up.

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Krylon?

Sorry, couldn't resist. ;)

That is what I do to my sliders when the rust pops up.

Could be non plated brackets on the underside that are rusting?

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought voyager steps and they rusted to a truly comical degree within 2-3 years. I got rid of them. Problem was, it started to affect my frame even under painted areas. So I taped and sanded it all away and primed it with an Easton 2-part epoxy primer (serious stuff) and then coated it with undercarriage coating and put the plastic covers back on. I'm happy the steps are gone.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The steps on my 2010 (dealer option at the time but look identical to the latter ones) corroded badly to the point of having no structure. I pulled them in 2016 and tossed them. If you live in an area with road salt yours are probably terminal.

TheWidup

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah...stupid road salt...hate the stuff. It's been a rough winter on the roads up this area and salt has been generously applied constantly. I had the same thing with the steps on my F150 where they started rusting. I guess I'll just let them go and get some step/slider combo when these get to the point of being dangerous to use.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99