Oil Filter top will not come off

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Al Pizzica

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tried a search.
Last oil change was by dealer, the first one since I bought this one used at 65k.
I suspect either they overtightened it, or it was too tight and they said to hell with it.
It broke the oil filter wrench from Atlantic British it is on there so tight. Tried a universal grabby one and it is kind of janky to use on a reusable plastic housing so it did not work without me thinking I was going to break it.
Any ideas other than return to dealer and say fix your mess?
Thanks all.

Coffee

Reaction score
I tried three different wrenches. Then I bought this one; it worked perfectly.

“This 90mm 15 flute oil filter wrench fits many 2010+ Jaguar & Land Rover 3.0L & 5.0L gas engines that use the cartridge style oil filter system.”

If that doesn’t remove it, I suppose you could drill a hole all the way through both sides and stick a screw driver through it. Of course you’ll be buying a new one.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score

jlach993

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This can’t be the right link. The one that fits is an 89 or 90mm 3.5” w/15 flutes. This one is 74mm w/14 flutes. Are we still talking about LR4 oil filter cover?

FYI I found that 89mm fits better than the 90mm.
Oh man I apologize you’re right. I copy and pasted the wrong link. It is the 90mm.....but as you’ve stated the 89mm is a more snug fit

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you need to prepare yourself to have to buy a new cover and sacrificially remove the current one. There are many ways to do that.

The way these covers seal is not in axial compression, but rather radial compression. The tightening torque is purely to prevent it from backing off and not to ensure a proper seal, so I always go light on torque.

Al Pizzica

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As an update I finally got the filter cover off.
I got the engine nice and hot.
I used the broken roverparts filter wrench with some sheets of paper in between the wrench and the filter for more grip.
Then I used the pliers type universal oil filter wrench and pulled with all my might. (I was worroed the grip type would damage the plastic filter housing but on the metal wrench I did not worry)
I had to pull off the air intake to get this contraption in there but it was better then going to the dealer.

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any damage done? Good to hear you got it off.

DaytonaRS7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
are you replacing it? concerned that it may not fit correct after being over torqued and wrestled off?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM