Oil Level Indicator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most cars have ~1qrt from min to max. This is why I always underfill by 1/2 quart when I do an oil change. I usually end up pretty close to max.

Stuart Barnes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lr call for you to calibrate the oil level gauge after performing an oil change, regardless of how much you removed, after refilling with 8.0l

With reference to oil pressure, this is the stated pressure/temperature/rpm data from the technical manual

"Oil Pump Nominal Operating Pressures

Engine Oil Cooler

Engine Speed, rev/min Temperature, °C (°F) Pressure, bar (lbf/in2)

Idle 20 (68) 2.0 (29.0)

1500 20 (68) 6.0 (87.0)

3000 40 (104) 6.2 (90.0)

3000 110 (230) 5.0 (72.5)

3000 130 (266) 4.0 (58.0)"

My E39M5 used to burn oil at a ferocious rate, 1 qt every 2k miles or so. Still the best all round car I've ever owned. Happy all day cruising at 165 on the autobahn, as long as the fuel lasted :)

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lr call for you to calibrate the oil level gauge after performing an oil change, regardless of how much you removed, after refilling with 8.0l
THANK YOU! This is correct: ^^^

IME, the level indicator is as useless as the 2 brake pad wear sensors for 8 brake pads. And unless you have performed the calibration procedure as described in the FSM after changing the oil, you CAN NOT trust that the level indicator is accurate. Who knows what the last owner/mechanic did? I've seen readings all over the place when I know how much oil is in the sump. Now that I'm changing at 5kmi, I mostly just check the level for grins just before the oil change, and it's still showing smack in the middle... same as after I've poured in 2 gallons. Interestingly, I only drain out 7.0-7.5 quarts, yet the fabulous high-tech sensor doesn't show any change in level.

:motz:

greiswig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you pull enough out of the sump using a Mityvac-type device to where you can assume it's basically at 0 and add 8 quarts? Or do you have to pull the drain plug?

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you pull enough out of the sump using a Mityvac-type device to where you can assume it's basically at 0 and add 8 quarts? Or do you have to pull the drain plug?
I'm sure it would be fine, but if I were to calibrate mine I would pull the drain plug.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petrhick