Onboard Spare parts when off-roading/overlanding

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i spent a little over 1 hr removing the spare tire winch, repacking with grease, welding it together again and it works flawlessly. depending what your priorities are, it may be worth it for you? if the time comes I get a flat in bad weather or bad location, the last thing id want to do is fight with the tire winch.

I'm going to see if the LR3 tire winch is still available from LR parts. It had a 22mm bolt that you attach the lug wrench (or any socket driver) to. The only reason LR changed the winch design was because lazy tire places would take an air gun to the winch and ruin it.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going to see if the LR3 tire winch is still available from LR parts. It had a 22mm bolt that you attach the lug wrench (or any socket driver) to. The only reason LR changed the winch design was because lazy tire places would take an air gun to the winch and ruin it.

The key to avoiding cable kinks seems to be NOT to use an air gun and to always maintain lots of tension on the cable as you lower and raise it. Unfortunately that means that changing a tire is a 2-person affair if you follow those guidelines. But we all know that if you take it slow the weight of the tire/rim should be sufficient. Lifting one side of that thing to get the holder piece out of the center hole can be a real PITA. Never skip upper body day!

DaytonaRS7

Full Access Member
Reaction score

my MY11 as the 22mm bolt to lower/raise. Must have been a change in MY12 or 13 to the winch system.

just googled the "new" version. that does suck, how do they expect you to get any leverage when hooking though the pin?

Last edited:

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my MY11 as the 22mm bolt to lower/raise. Must have been a change in M12 or 13 to the winch system.

just googled the "new" version. that does suck, how do they expect you to get any leverage when hooking though the pin?

You don't want leverage. The mechanism is fragile.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my MY11 as the 22mm bolt to lower/raise. Must have been a change in MY12 or 13 to the winch system.

You weave the hook through the hole at the top of the winch mechanism, then put the other end of that rod through a hole in the stock lugnut removal tool to form a "T". You then flip the lugnut sleeve out to use it as a handle/crank to unwind or wind up the winch. It gives you sufficient leverage unless the whole thing is bound up. It's definitely unwieldy but it works.

EDIT: When you attach the lugnut removal tool to the other end of the rod, it actually makes more of an "L" than a "T", if that helps you visualize it.

Last edited:

Pfunk951

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've found that making a list of recovery gear, needed tools, and known replacement parts is the way to go. Like RyanJL pointed out, everything else is contingent on your trip length and difficulty.

Question for the group: One of the concerns that I have is plugging a coolant leak in the field. I think duct tape can work in a pinch on a hose, but Plummer's Putty or JB Weld on a plastic part? I need to add this to my kit..

I've started dabbling in this Overlanding business since Covid hit, as it seems to be a good way to stay away from people while getting my travel on. I went with a military trailer/rooftop tent in case I need to bring extra crap for a long trip.. I will warn you, after going to a couple of Expedition Expos I have discovered that this can get expensive if you get hooked..

x2 on the tire plugs, my record is 3 in one hole (and held air!)

MP

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Question for the group: One of the concerns that I have is plugging a coolant leak in the field. I think duct tape can work in a pinch on a hose, but Plummer's Putty or JB Weld on a plastic part? I need to add this to my kit..

MP[/QUOTE]

I’ve heard the silicone tape works better than duct tape for fixing holes in coolant hoses. Haven’t tried it myself for this purpose, but I’ve used it on other things - great stuff.

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do strap a chainsaw to the roof rack if hitting a trail, but it is not part of the permanent inventory.

I forgot to list the TP.:)

I have a wife and three daughters. Every single one of them has given me **** at some point over being "overly prepared". Every single one of them has also come to me at some point on a trip and said "uh, do you still have the toilet paper...?".

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petrhick