P0442 code and CEL - 2012 LR4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brizzity

Reaction score
I'm having trouble with a continuing P0442 code (small leak in the evap system) and subsequent CEL, and was hoping to see if anyone had insight beyond what's already on the board here. There are several instances of people having this issue but not a whole lot of follow-up on how it was ultimately solved.

My issue began with the "check gas cap" light coming on and going off after fiddling with the cap. It eventually escalated to throwing the CEL. I changed the cap with a new one, and reset the code. It came back. I took it into my independent shop, they replaced the DMTL pump straight away. That didn't solve it. They said they pushed smoke through the system and were unable to find a leak anywhere. Next, they removed the gas tank and resealed the inside of it. That didn't solve it.

A separate symptom that is likely related...
I find that I rarely fill up my gas tank all the way when I put gas in the car for one reason or another. In my searches either here or on one of the other sites, I found mention of someone having a starting issue after filling the car up fully. Shortly after getting the car back the last time, I filled up fully with gas and had issue getting it started at the gas pump. I hit the start button and it'd give me a rough half start and then die. It did this a few times before I got it to start fully after blipping the throttle mid start. It's started fine since, though I haven't fully filled the tank since.

So, I'm left with the check engine light on from the continuing P0442 code and a shop that doesn't seem to know what to do next. The other items I've seen mentioned are the charcoal canister, vapor canister purge valve, and someone mentioned the fuel pump seals. With my shop saying they can't find any leak via a smoke test, it seems like either I just start replacing some of these items randomly or taking it to a dealer which I'd really love to avoid.

Anyone have any input?

Michael Gain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a TSB on the purge valve with that code. If I remember right, it was not an expensive part to replace.

Screenshot_20201207-213544.png

Brizzity

Reaction score
I wanted to close the loop on this in case anyone else has the issue in the future. Michael's suggestion via the service bulletin turned out to solve it for me. After all the back and forth with my shop, changing the purge valve myself cleared it up.

DonC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wanted to close the loop on this in case anyone else has the issue in the future. Michael's suggestion via the service bulletin turned out to solve it for me. After all the back and forth with my shop, changing the purge valve myself cleared it up.

Thanks for posting the update. My '11 LR4 starting acting this exact way this week. Going to try the TSB as well to see if that will address the issue.

DonC

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I got the purge valve in today. Sure enough that was the fix. Filled up right after and no further issues. Thanks for posting this Michael and Brizzity!

mm3846

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Waiting on this part myself. Where is the purge valve located? I can't find a single picture or diagram on it.

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Long black tube runs from throttle body along drivers side of engine and then down behind the engine. The tube has a smaller diameter (as I recall) than the breather. The purge valve is in that run of tubing in the engine compartment. Might be tucked under the flexible shielding material.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV