Paddle shifters not working unless in manual mode?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

greiswig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yet another noob question: From what I can tell from the manual, the paddle shifters should be available to work even in Drive (D) mode. But they don't do anything on my LR4 unless I've moved the knob to the Standard (S) mode.

Is there a trick?

Last edited:

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Paddles only work in sport mode, which is how most cars employ the “manual” shifting mode. The drive mode allows the transmission to coast, which is incompatible with a manual shifting mode. So, it makes sense to have it tied to sport mode.

I don’t think you’d want the paddles working while in regular drive mode. It’s too easy to accidentally knock them into a different gear unintentionally. Plus, once you enter manual mode, you need a way to get back into automatic mode without taking the car out of drive, so one of the two drive modes needs to cancel the manual shifting.

Mack73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Paddles only work in sport mode, which is how most cars employ the “manual” shifting mode. The drive mode allows the transmission to coast, which is incompatible with a manual shifting mode. So, it makes sense to have it tied to sport mode.

I don’t think you’d want the paddles working while in regular drive mode. It’s too easy to accidentally knock them into a different gear unintentionally. Plus, once you enter manual mode, you need a way to get back into automatic mode without taking the car out of drive, so one of the two drive modes needs to cancel the manual shifting.

Not sure about how 'most' cars to this. Audi/VW lets you hit the paddles when in normal mode - it bounces you to manual mode for a set amount of time (like 1 minute) if you don't hit the paddles or move it to manual mode it will then go back to normal. It works VERY well and I've never accidently hit a paddle and gotten into a gear I didn't want.

Makes downshifting to pass very seamless. Click the paddles to downshift and get on it, then 30 seconds later it pops back to normal mode and shifts up a couple gear.

CHRIS APALLAS

Reaction score
Not sure about how 'most' cars to this. Audi/VW lets you hit the paddles when in normal mode - it bounces you to manual mode for a set amount of time (like 1 minute) if you don't hit the paddles or move it to manual mode it will then go back to normal. It works VERY well and I've never accidently hit a paddle and gotten into a gear I didn't want.

Makes downshifting to pass very seamless. Click the paddles to downshift and get on it, then 30 seconds later it pops back to normal mode and shifts up a couple gear.
That's how my FFRR 2012 worked as well when I added paddles. I assumed it would be the same when/if I get a V8 LR4 and add paddles to that. Being able to downshift while in D was something I did routinely. If I wanted full control, over to Sport.

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I stand corrected. I’ve never driven a vehicle that could be shifted while in drive mode, but just googling a bit, looks like many can be used that way with the paddles.

I just looked up the LR4 manual, and it suggests that this should be available in drive mode

A0B738C5-03D6-4EED-B390-A3B68CC6CC3A.jpeg

I’ve not tried it (but I am always bumping the shifters, so thought I would have noticed this). In my google searching, it also looks like some land rovers had an option in the vehicle menu to allow this to be available only for sport mode, or for both sport/drive mode.

greiswig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, that's the part of the manual I'd read it in. And to me, it is expected behavior. Excuse me...behaviour. But it doesn't work.

greiswig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found one vid on YouTube about a diesel LR3 owner in the UK needing to reprogram one of the ECU's using the GAP tool in order to allow Commandshift. I don't know whether that is relevant for us or not.

Mack73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found one vid on YouTube about a diesel LR3 owner in the UK needing to reprogram one of the ECU's using the GAP tool in order to allow Commandshift. I don't know whether that is relevant for us or not.

Hum... can you post a link to the video. I've got the IIDtool, I can poke around in there tomorrow

greiswig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hum... can you post a link to the video. I've got the IIDtool, I can poke around in there tomorrow

Seemed like he had actually had to also install a new steering wheel with the paddles, IIRC.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM