Picked up my Causeway Grey LR4...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For reference i got a 2010 HSE LUX with 33,000miles on it and CPO for $43k just last week...

I'm sure that is a good deal given the current market. And if you are trying to stay on a low 40's budget then that's a good find.

But to me, assuming a new LUX can be had for high 50's - call it 57-58k, that 14-15k difference is not worth it. We are 4 months away from 2014's.

In a few months I can get a 3.5 to 4 year newer car, brand new, to my specs, with a choice of new interior colors, upgraded NAV, more bugs ironed out, full warranty and no unknown history to worry about.

I see several 2011 LUX cars asking ~$50k. That's insane. Right now is not a good time to buy any car used, IMO.

That's my point of view. Mind you, as I said, my point of view is skewed because I can afford a new one. But still, I have trouble spending more than ~$50k on a car, so I have to find a compelling reason to go above that.

alexcorral

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I could never find a "compelling" reason to spend $56K on an LR4 and $67K on a RRS other than I really like them both :proud:

There are many other SUVs we could have got for half the cost but like Count Laszlo once said: "Once you get the Land Rover bug, you can not shake it. One can not pin point why they are so special, they just are... uncanny indeed".

Agarabaghi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sure that is a good deal given the current market. And if you are trying to stay on a low 40's budget then that's a good find.

But to me, assuming a new LUX can be had for high 50's - call it 57-58k, that 14-15k difference is not worth it. We are 4 months away from 2014's.

In a few months I can get a 3.5 to 4 year newer car, brand new, to my specs, with a choice of new interior colors, upgraded NAV, more bugs ironed out, full warranty and no unknown history to worry about.

I see several 2011 LUX cars asking ~$50k. That's insane. Right now is not a good time to buy any car used, IMO.

That's my point of view. Mind you, as I said, my point of view is skewed because I can afford a new one. But still, I have trouble spending more than ~$50k on a car, so I have to find a compelling reason to go above that.

haha fair enough... here is another kicker... i dont even have a license... shes been in the garage since i bought it... then again i havent had a license in 6 yrs and my discovery also sat =P ...

I didnt wanna spend more than 40k on a "new" to me car... and i would never buy a new car... to either their own. Im happy to have 0 debt and 0 payments on anything and keeping my car budget around 40k allows me to continue this life style =D

The extra features in the new one were not enough to warrant a $15k jump in price. Plus having ease of mind that my car is under warranty till 2016 or 100,000 miles which is basically the same as if i got a new 2013 ... (4yr/50k)... oh well im happy and my garage is happy, and my friends who drive me around are happier...

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
haha fair enough... here is another kicker... i dont even have a license... shes been in the garage since i bought it... then again i havent had a license in 6 yrs and my discovery also sat =P ...

I didn't wanna spend more than 40k on a "new" to me car... and i would never buy a new car... to either their own. Im happy to have 0 debt and 0 payments on anything and keeping my car budget around 40k allows me to continue this life style =D

The extra features in the new one were not enough to warrant a $15k jump in price. Plus having ease of mind that my car is under warranty till 2016 or 100,000 miles which is basically the same as if i got a new 2013 ... (4yr/50k)... oh well im happy and my garage is happy, and my friends who drive me around are happier...

Hey, it's a good deal. No doubt. The warranty is the key part. But unless you have a VERY late build 2010, you probably have ~3.5 years of warranty. If it works for you, then great. Like I said, it has to do with how much you are comfortable spending. This car did it for you, and that's great.

I am not against used cars provided they are a good deal. I just bought a 6-year old 911 Turbo in December. Bought it outright. My Turbo was $17k undervalued according to the registry of motors vehicles, so I had to pay taxes on an additional $17k over what I paid. But that shows the kind of deal I got. When I bought my CPO Boxster S it wasn't even 2 years old, had 13k miles, was a $64k MSRP car, and I paid $40,500.

Better example: I bought my wife's Mini Cooper, as a 3 year old car (with nearly a year of warranty left), with 18k miles for $16k. MSRP new? $26.5k. That's a 40% discount.

I value a new car a lot. Especially when I may keep it for a long time and past the warranty period. I could see keeping my LR4 for 8-10 years if I don't like the next gen. I am also a firm believer in never buying the first year car. I also have further restrictions on interior color, equipment, etc.

Agarabaghi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with all your points.

On the the 1st yr make especially, but to me the Lr4 is actually a 5th yrs version of the LR3 with all the issues somewhat resolved haha...

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with all your points.

On the the 1st yr make especially, but to me the Lr4 is actually a 5th yrs version of the LR3 with all the issues somewhat resolved haha...

That is true to a point. Absolutely with regard to the chassis. But the weak points with Land Rovers have always been the electrics/electronics.

LR4TQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally got around to install some of my Asfir skid plates. The front skid plate fits perfectly without any issue but i am having fitment problems with the transmission plate. It hits the exhaust but I plan on getting the truck on a lift to get a better view. I am also waiting to install the rear diff plate. Here are some photos:

BB-E852FCD2CCE9-17140-000009D890B6B975_zps75c3d26c.jpg

D1-BA7F8A9AB5F0-17140-000009D8B518A282_zpscce88bbc.jpg

57-18809DCCC696-17140-000009D8A6B46D89_zps388f5db1.jpg

Also installed the air tank plate...you never know! This one went on very easily, a 5min job:

1D-11E19C93E602-17140-000009D8C27C54F3_zps41814f75.jpg

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The tranny plate from Tactical 4x4 doesn't fit my 2013 either (without modifications, which they are working on.) According to Eric / Kep, Land Rover added a new exhaust bracket right behind the cats, which wasn't there on earlier model years, and gets in the way of their transmission plate. I am guessing the Asfir plate has got the same issue.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LR4TQ,

Wow - looks AWESOME. Beautiful truck.

I am glad to hear the air tank guard went on easy, as I am getting one as well. Derek at Urban Offroad was telling me on Saturday that the transmission plate did some have some fitment issues. Thanks for posting the photos - looks great.

Let me know how the rear differential installation goes, as that's next after the air tank guard.

-David

Kaaae

Full Access Member
Reaction score
those are next on my list.... before the bumper.... and tire carrier.... and roof rack... and lights... etc....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM