Radiator Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
I ended up DIYing it and I must say taking it out was way harder than putting it back in. Overall, not too bad. It took 5 hours to do it, but I also did take an hour lunch beer break.

Remove skid plates and bleed the coolant from the bottom hose. Remove the fan, fan shrouds (top and bottom), 2 bolts to the frame, 2 plastic pins on top, 8mm bolt holding the AC lines, and remove all hoses connecting to the radiator. I had to remove both headlamps, everything (winch box and on-board air) behind the RH (passenger) side, air intake box from the LH (driver) side for clearance. Remove the radiator by sliding it towards the coolant reservoir, lift the other end above the body at an angle, slide to the opposite end, and remove. Installing is just the reverse. It definitely takes some patience moving it in and out while pivoting from left to right to get over the engine harness.

gillygong

Reaction score
How was it refilling the coolant system? I have to replace my radiator too and don’t want to F up the vacuum fill. Any tips?

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
I have this exact coolant vacuum fill kit and it makes it easy.

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I too did the vacuum fill. Effortless and I only did it once. Don’t have to screw with the bleeder screws or anything.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been dragging my feet for almost 2 years on preemptively replacing all things relating to cooling (pipes, t-stat, pump), but I was not planning on including the radiator.

Should I?

I have a 2013 with 57k miles.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my 2012 (originally purchased in December 2012), my radiator was leaking and replaced under my CPO warranty in December 2018 at around 80k miles.

ugmw177

Reaction score
Vacuum fill is the way to go. If you do that, you will never want to bother with old school bleeding etc.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I must be the only LR4 owner who never had an issue bleeding the cooling system. A couple of breather ports and the tank. Easy peasy or I got lucky.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72