Rear Brake interval

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kingfishgrapeja

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unless something wonky is going on, it looks like I am only getting about 10K out of my EBC rear pads. That is uber low. I do tow a 2400lb boat and live in PA but still very low for rear breaks.

I got the brake chime yesterday so I assumed it was the the fronts with 15K on Bendix pads. I was surprised when I pulled the sensor and it was fine. So I went to the rears and sure enough that sensor is acitvated. I could have a sticky caliper but I doubt it. Both sides look low through the rims. I guess I'll go with the cheapy bendix pads for the rear this time as well.

I am at 50k now, I am planning on doing the rotors....I didn't last time, should I be worried about replacing the parking shoes as well?

ryan-in-oregon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You shouldn't need to change the shoes but you will know for sure once it is apart. Make sure you follow the epb procedures for reinstallation.

Geotrash

Reaction score
Go with Akebono ceramics. I typically get 100K plus on a set of these on other vehicles, and they're made for the LR3 now.

Dave

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Geo, do you have ceramics on your LR3 now? I'd like to hear how people are faring with ceramics on the heavy LR3.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You get what you pay for!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
As for that crappy wear, rears should last 2 to 2.5 times longer then the fronts, sounds like it is time to either have your brakes checked for proper pressure and or watch you driving habits cause Rover pads don't last long anyway.
As for the Akebono pads, they are the best ceramic pads made in any county, no dust, better stopping power, last longer and are easy on your rotors.
As for the fronts holding up well, it isn't because they are Bendix, you most likely have a bad perportioning valve, when did you last do a complete brake bleed?

schafari

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually, for modern vehicles, it is not at all unusual for the rears to wear out first. It is no longer they way it was a while ago with the fronts always wearing out. Anti-dive braking, active brake proportioning, etc., have pretty much eliminated the old truism that fronts wear the fastest.

I would stick to OEM pads and rotors to be the best balance. I have never been dissatisfied with OEM, but I have been with aftermarket.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with Schafari...especially since my rears wore out first too!

kingfishgrapeja

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The brakes do not feel odd in any way. I think the compound on the EBCs just may be a tad too soft for all the mountains and towing.

I'll get a good look at it next week but If I can get the rotors and pads for under $100, I may just do it for grins. It isn't like I am spending any money on labor, or like it will be my last brake change.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
100% backwards on LR3 Mike. Rears last about 60-70% as long as fronts.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM