Rear suspension chatter or flap - video

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jjvd21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Udpate: Although the dealer is doing everything they can, apparently they still cannot reproduce the noise. As I live downtown and can hear the noise repeadetly on a short commute or any other drive, I've suggested that the dealer bring the D3 downtown to test drive it on the city conditions. They have agreed but my worry is that I'll reproduce it in 50' and then they'll take it back and not know what to fix. I suggested to them to put it on a lift and hit the rear wheels with a sledge hammer or other related device straight upwards to see if that will reproduce the jumbling / chatter. Thanks for all of the ideas, I've sent them along to the dealer for the technician to look into.......

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...can't you just go ride with the tech? Maybe find an area near the dealership that creates the noise ahead of time.

jjvd21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Houm_WA I actually took the tech on a test drive on pavement that I selected prior to drop off that reproduced the exact noise. He said he heard it during the test drive. I don't want to give the impression on here that I'm complaining, my dealer is telling me that they're doing whatever they can to identify the problem and rectify it. I have a sense that I'll need my Flip Mino player again to prove where the noise is coming from if they cannot solve.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...I don't understand. If the tech said he heard the noise then where is the disconnect? Wouldn't his hearing of the noise constitute "reproduction" of the noise? Couldn't they just go drive the same stretch of road in order to test it?

jjvd21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you think its ridiculous imagine how I feel. I'm just remaining calm at this point, reminding them to make sure that the technician I drove around actually goes on the test drives. Last 2 times I've spoken to dealer a different person had taken the D3 for a spin and reported no noise - then again these people wouldn't know what to listen for or know of the same route that the tech and I took. I'm on my 2nd week with the LR2 loaner, I'm sure they'll figure it out or drive downtown so I can show them.

mustbeaudi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jjvd21 did it right, reproduced the noise for a live tech when checking in the car, and I agree with Houm that no grounds exist to deny reproduction - so, at bottom, you appear to be more patient than he or I would be with such frustrating incompetence: denial of truth - egads! At least you're racking up miles on their LR2 while you continue to push the repair that shall surely come. Go, man, go.

jjvd21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dealer just called and said that they now hear the noise and believe it to be coming from the emergency parking brake cable clanking against a threading loop. They say that they can reproduce the noise and that they were able to grease the area and reduce the noise. I am skeptical but hopeful. The dealer claims that the noise is because of poor design and not necessarily due to wear or improper use / installation. I have driven probably about 4 or 5 LR3's, and none produced any type of chatter than mine loves to make. I am going to pick it up and we'll see if this is the cause.......I am 100% sure that a cable could not produce the rear jumble which I still think is suspension related / rear bush related. Dealer claims there is no wear or movement in the rear suspension bushes and that the rear wheels are tight. I don't know how to push back on this.

If the cable is not the cause of the chatter, I'll be attaching the Mino Flip player to the underside to see if technology can prove rather than the old fashioned way..........

Last edited:

workingclass

Reaction score
Rear suspension Knocking/Chatter Found

As I'm not as technically inclined as some of the other forum members I thought I'd ask for help. My rear suspension is making a chatter or flapping noise when driving over cracks, potholes or bumps in the road. My D3 is currently with the dealer and they cannot identify the problem. I think it's tied directly to the suspension, it also, as you can imagine, creates a lot of interior noise. Thanks in advance!!!!!!

If your parking brake cable wasn't the problem. Check your stabilizer bar linkage. If it doesn't seem loose you may have to raise the suspension to off road height. If still nothing take your tire off and use a second jack to raise the knuckle/hub (This is the part the dealer missed) a little at a time.

I noticed when the suspension is fully extended "on a lift" the linkage seemed to be fine. Mine is only loose on one side. I hope this helps.

This video is what i found on mine today.

YouTube - Reason 4 Knocking/Chatter Coming From Rear of LR3

Last edited:

USAFbuckeye

Full Access Member
Reaction score
working, great find and excellent job recording for all to see!

Thanks!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635