Remind Me Again Why We Love These Things?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A buddy asked me recently if I would consider selling my Rover, which got my mind to thinking how I could ever put a price on this thing, which led me having a beer and trying from memory to list everything I have repaired or modified on this thing. That led to more beer to numb the pain. If my wife ever happens upon this post, I'm dead.

Feel free to post your own story of addiction.

2012 LR4 HSE Lux HD
97,000 Miles
Original Owner

F=Failed
P=Pre-emptive

Repairs and Maintenance

Transmission filter, outlet, fluid - P
Front Air Struts - P
Rear Air Struts - P
Front Axles – P – Upgrade to HD Wide Angle CV
Rear Axles – P – Upgrade to HD Wide Angle CV
Front Valve Block - F
Rear Valve Block - P
Chassis Valve Block - P
Air Compressor - P
Rear Drive Shaft - F
Rear Drive Shaft Carrier Bearing Support - F
Front Differential – P – Upgrade – ARB Air Locker
Timing chains/Chain Guides/Chain – P/F
Water pump - Three Times - F
Water pump to Oil Cooler Pipe - F
Alternator - P - Replaced with 220 amp HD
Front Brake Rotors/Pads - Twice - F
Rear Brake Rotors/Pads - Twice - F
Front Upper/Lower Control Arms bushings - F
Rear Upper/Lower Control Arm Bushings - F
Front Anti-Roll bar bushings - P
Rear Anti-Roll bar bushings - P
Front Wheel Bearings - P
Rear Wheel Bearings - P
Front Tie Rods - F
Front Ball Joints - F
Front Anti-Roll Bar Drop Links - F
Rear Wheel Knuckle Bushings - P
Rear Toe Arms - P
Rear HVAC O-rings - F
Front Cooling System Crossover Pipe - P
Rear Cooling System Heater Manifold - P
PCV Valve - F
Clock Spring – F
Windshield Valance Panel – F
Steering Rack - F
Rear View Mirror - F - Homelink button stopped working

Modifications

TR Front Bumper w/ Swivel Hoists
TR Rear Bumper
TR Sliders
TR Gas Tank Skid
TR Transfer Case Skid
TR Spare Tire Swing-out
TR Jerry Can Carrier
Asfir Rear Diff Skid
LRA Auxiliary Fuel Tank
ARB Onboard Air
ARB Fridge in Second Row
Third Row Seat Delete and Sleeping Platform
18 Compomotive Wheels
33 inch BFG K02 Tires
Prospeed Roof Rack
Rear Hatch Ladder
Manual/Emergency Tail Gate Release
Blue Sea Auxiliary Fuse Panel in Cargo Area
Kenwood VHF/UHF Radio
Baofeng GMRS/MURS/FMRS Monitor Radio
Uniden CB Radio
Weboost Cell Phone Booster
Traxide Dual Battery System
Lensun Hood Mounted Solar Panel
Victron Bluetooth Solar Charge Controller
SYA 2.5 Spacers
GOE 2 Position Air Suspension Rods
GOE Emergency Air Kit
Warn Zeon 12,000 Pound Winch
VisionX Front Offroad Lights
GAP IID Bluetooth
ARB Rack Mounted Awning
Big Sky Overhead Rifle Rack
Bearmach Cargo Area Shelf

Last edited:

mm3846

Full Access Member
Reaction score
meh.

I've done the big builds on my two Jeeps, and I've done the "if you unscrew it replace it with new" and "check or change it every weekend" level of preemptive maintenance on my D1. I'm keeping this one as close to stock, and just following the factory recommended maintenance schedule. Upgrades are only done if they're 100% needed, keeping the weight off.

I just picked up a knockoff ARB single compressor and the Prado mount that fits behind the headlight, because I hate having to throw my VIAIR compressor in the truck and popping off the battery cover every time I have to air up after driving on the beach. The 255/60s are fine, but I'm definitely going to 18s for the next set (better for the beach), and with that a Terrafirma swing out.

If you need and use all those mods.. or just want them because you like them.. great! That's awesome and I'm jealous. But you'd want/need to do all that to anything else you drove, too, probably. It's a hobby, is what it is. These trucks need more love in the maintenance department than say a Toyota or a domestic but it's the price you pay to drive something different.

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's tongue in cheek. I don't regret any of it. I enjoy this thing more than any other vehicle I own, and I think I'm at 8 right now. I'm a little opposite of you, as I have elected to keep my Wrangler nearly 100% stock. It was just a little sobering (thus more beer) to write it down and see just how much money and time it's consumed over the years.

I do get use out of all the mods, well except for the CB radio. I still haven't talked to anybody on that damn thing.

Nick11LR4

Reaction score
Would love to see some pics with all the mods.

I’m more like mm3846 at this point, only have the 255/60s but could see getting more into the mods you have down the line.

mm3846

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's tongue in cheek. I don't regret any of it. I enjoy this thing more than any other vehicle I own, and I think I'm at 8 right now. I'm a little opposite of you, as I have elected to keep my Wrangler nearly 100% stock. It was just a little sobering (thus more beer) to write it down and see just how much money and time it's consumed over the years.

I do get use out of all the mods, well except for the CB radio. I still haven't talked to anybody on that damn thing.

Oh yea, I get that. I dumped $15k of mods into my second XJ in like 4-6 months when I built it 11 years ago. I should have just bought a new 4Runner.

dlimanov

Reaction score
a lot of the things listed as failed are regular maintenance/wear and tear items. not that it reduces the “failed” list by that much to make it totota-level reliable but nevertheless..

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This was my first Rover back in 2012, and I heard all the horror stories, but honestly, except for the timing chains/guides debacle, I have been quite pleased.

The water pump is annoying, but at least it's cheap. I can swap one out now in about an hour with experience.

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
I'm on the same damn boat. I'm never selling it either, especially with all the love ($$$$$) I poured into it. I've put so much time into it that I know it's going to last with the proper maintenance that I do on my own. If I'm able to remove the heads to replace the exhaust manifold gaskets, I'm sure I can tackle anything on the truck. My only gripe is the stupid electrical charging system. Otherwise, I love this thing!

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
a lot of the things listed as failed are regular maintenance/wear and tear items. not that it reduces the “failed” list by that much to make it totota-level reliable but nevertheless..

I'm on the same damn boat. I'm never selling it either, especially with all the love ($$$$$) I poured into it. I've put so much time into it that I know it's going to last with the proper maintenance that I do on my own. If I'm able to remove the heads to replace the exhaust manifold gaskets, I'm sure I can tackle anything on the truck. My only gripe is the stupid electrical charging system. Otherwise, I love this thing!

I know we have discussed the charging system before, and I feel the same way. Super frustrating, as I'm sure JLR has a way to deactivate it, since the armored versions of our vehicles do not include it.

I made one change since we last discussed it that seems to be helping. I replaced the factory alternator with a "high output" alternator sourced from these guys. https://www.powerbastards.com/proddetail.asp?prod=11509-250-HD1-1

My reasoning being that the computer commands a certain level of alternator output via the pwm signal based on factory alternator specifications. With a higher output alternator that produces a higher amperage at all engine speeds, the same pwm signal from the computer should equate to a higher amperage flowing back to the batteries at all engine speeds. So far, at least anecdotally, it seems to have helped. With the factory alternator I would sometimes see charging voltages as low as 12.9. With the new alternator, I have yet to see it drop below 13.9 after a couple months of driving.

I have heard that the factory includes some type of water/weather resistance (not sure I believe that) so that might be a concern. I haven't dunked the new alternator yet, so I can't really comment on the new one. I am heading out on Saturday for a trip that might include some water crossings, so I will be throwing the known good factory alternator into my spares box just in case.

Latest posts

Staff online

• joey
    Custom Rover Accessories

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA