Replace cigar lighter with outlet?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

horatio8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone attempted to modify the cigar lighter to turn it into an additional power outlet? I don't know anyone who smokes, but I'd like to have an additional outlet to charge my wifi card.

tjp74

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Before dedicated power outlets started to apears on cars due to popularity of personal electronic deviced, read: cell phone, standard cigarett liter port was used to plug in adapters. I am not sure why you can't simply plug in a cell phone charger to the cigarett lighter port. It's essentially same thing I thought. People still plug in all those charges into the cigarett liter port on older cars.

horatio8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Before dedicated power outlets started to apears on cars due to popularity of personal electronic deviced, read: cell phone, standard cigarett liter port was used to plug in adapters. I am not sure why you can't simply plug in a cell phone charger to the cigarett lighter port. It's essentially same thing I thought. People still plug in all those charges into the cigarett liter port on older cars.

That makes sense to me, but the owner's manual specifically says not to do it. I wasn't brave enough to try it.

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I read the manual too and it said to not put any electrical device in there other than the lighter. I asked my salesman about it one day and he couldn't believe it was in the manual like that. He drives an LR3 and said that he always uses it.

I'm still trying to think of a reason it shouldn't be used unless it is live all the time and it could wear the battery down. It sounds like the truck consumes a large amount of electricity on it's own.

Anyone know why it shouldn't be used?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99