Second Battery Installed in LR4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ndrenfro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like the idea of putting an inverter in as well. I may just get a smaller one to plug into the 12v sockets to power a laptop. But i have seen online some LR3's that wired some permanent inverter boxes into the rear side storage areas where the wires for the 12v sockets (from the dual battery setup) run directly to the second battery. So that may be a way to go as well. I would have to check into the electronics to see how/if that would work. Keep us posted if you do any more research on this.

Land Rover Joe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ndrenfro,

I will keep everyone posted through this thread what I find out in the future. I am talking about the inverter boxes run straight to the second battery. In fact, I would like to rewire the existing 12v sockets to the second battery as well as any other accessories (like lights) to isolate the engine battery from the extra draws. I have even toyed with the idea of installing some solar panels to trickle charge the batteries and give the alternator a bit of relief…but that is starting to get a bit too 23rd Century for me right now (I am not an electrical engineer!)

When I get myself ready for this grand experiment, I will post my findings…but this is going to take some time. I will need to talk to the folks at Traxide and look at the options.

Land Rover Joe

CUCO

Reaction score
Hello!

Could you post a picture of the conection to the main battery?

Many thanks, i´m trying to do a traxide install and i dont know where go the conections, if after of before the sensor at the battery!

Thanks!

drivesafe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi CUCO, make your connections at the auxiliary battery’s positive terminal and the negative connects to the earth post on the inside of the guard in the auxiliary battery compartment on the driver’s side.

You can then rewire the cigarette power socket in the rear cargo area to run off the auxiliary battery.

ndrenfro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think drivesafe answered your question, but here is a photo as well.

Hello!

Could you post a picture of the conection to the main battery?

Many thanks, i´m trying to do a traxide install and i dont know where go the conections, if after of before the sensor at the battery!

Thanks!

Attachments

• photo22.jpg
    photo22.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 294

drivesafe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here’s a tip, do not connect anything to the negative terminal of your D4’s cranking battery.

You can connect to the positive terminal as in ndrenfro’s picture, but absolutely nothing should be connected to the neg terminal.

The reason is that there is a device connected between the cranking battery’s negative terminal and the earth stud in the side guard.

This is used to monitor the battery and you have the potential of causing problems if you connect to this terminal.

CUCO

Reaction score
thanks drivesafe and ndrenfro!!, this was just my question to resolve with the picture, to connect or to not to the neg terminal of the batt!

aesopian

Reaction score
I had no issues this weekend in - 0 temp this weekend (wind chill), but a 2nd battery for comfort came to mind. Great input on a 2nd battery for the LR4.

Is anyone conscious of a domestic (USA) seller of the Traxide dual battery kit or similar product?

ndrenfro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can order them directly from Traxide and they arriver in the US in about a week. Traxide is very helpful and will answer any questions you have.

Now, I just need to connect a fuse box to the 2nd batter to connect more electronic goodies inside the truck :cool:

aesopian

Reaction score
Appreciate the feedback. I'll update if I decide to get one.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM