Snorkel - How to

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iSurfvilano

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been trying to figure out how @NASdiesel got his to work, but no response... So hoping to get some input before I start going about it on my own...but before I start...

- Yes, I went through the other threads...doesn't seem to be any first hand experience on how this is done.
- Yes, I want it to be functional and not just for looks.
- No, I do not want to have 2 snorkels.
- No, I do not want to relocate the second air box if it's not needed, I'd rather have a way to quickly and safely plug one intake.

So --- The water crossings I encounter when I go north of here are pretty tame (usually right below the top of the tire is the max water height) but I would like to have the confidence to hit trails which may have slightly deeper crossings. I know that when approaching a deep crossing, putting a tarp over the front of the vehicle to help move the water is a great method along with duct taping plastic rubbermaid containers over the side intakes (this is actually a method used by @dirtsunrise on instagram) --- But there has to be a more efficient way using the factory snorkel on our models. I was thinking about creating a quick release grille for the one intake (for aesthetic purposes) and then creating some sort of foam rubber insert that I could throw in then throw a heavy duty magnetic sheet over it to seal it. It would take take seconds to put in place when/if the time comes. But....really interested in what others have done.

Thanks in advance.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not a thermodynamicist, but it seems that, in theory, if you have a snorkel for one intake and not the other, the engine will pull air from the snorkel side in a high-water situation because it would have less resistance. I'm not sure how much air our engines really pull, though, so I'm not sure if that theory would work, and I wouldn't want to be the one to test it regardless.

I think having a way to temporarily seal off one intake for a water crossing would be best. It still leaves the issue of addressing dust, though, which is the reason a lot of people run a snorkel in the first place.

Robin Parsons

Reaction score
If you. Over an inlet,, the engine will likely see an imbalance across the 2 MAF, and throw a MIL code, perhaps even go into limp mode. If nit just suck in water if left open. I do not recall seeing any kind of check valve system.

Reaction score
Contrary to popular belief the LR Snorkel kits are NOT for deep water fording but merely to keep a lot of road dust out of the engine mounted air cleaners. I would advise caution if you are thinking of trying to ford with it. Oh by the way, to really ford you would need an exhaust snorkel.

iSurfvilano

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Contrary to popular belief the LR Snorkel kits are NOT for deep water fording but merely to keep a lot of road dust out of the engine mounted air cleaners. I would advise caution if you are thinking of trying to ford with it. Oh by the way, to really ford you would need an exhaust snorkel.

I'm not exactly going out looking for lakes to cross. Just would like the peice of mind when I do come across that situation. After doing further research, I am not convinced that it's worth it. I'm not in an area where dust is prevalent and where I go offroad is mostly clay/rocky terrain...and it's about once a quarter....other than that, it's in sand throughout the week. So...even if I were to do it, it would have to be the OEM LR snorkel, as that is the only one I can find which does not seem to have issue with throwing error codes...and they're expensive. Plus you have to drill into the panel which means if you don't like it then there are holes in the side of your rig. So yeah...

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score

What do you base this opinion on?

OEM snorkel kits rarely state they are for deep water fording as they don't want the liability--it opens up a hornet's next of other issues (are your electronics protected, diff breathers high enough, etc.) But if it's water tight (which it can be made to be), there's no difference between a Land Rover snorkel and any other snorkel for any other vehicle that's billed for water fording.

And you'd have to do some serious swamp exploration to need an exhaust snorkel. I'm thinking you'd nearly have to park and turn off your engine in the water to make one necessary.

Reaction score
I base it on FACTS and years of mil veh usage and actually doing fordings. All aspects of waterproofing EVERY possible opening in the electrical system, and air breathing system must be sealed. All plug wires and any junction where air could get in must be sealed. The Army manual says you then must drain all fluids after fording. Keep in mind the exhaust has a outward pressure during piston cycles. If you completely submerge your exhaust system without an exhaust snorkel, water will come into the engine. Ask LR the snorkel is for dusty environments only.

iSurfvilano

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I base it on FACTS and years of mil veh usage and actually doing fordings. All aspects of waterproofing EVERY possible opening in the electrical system, and air breathing system must be sealed. All plug wires and any junction where air could get in must be sealed. The Army manual says you then must drain all fluids after fording. Keep in mind the exhaust has a outward pressure during piston cycles. If you completely submerge your exhaust system without an exhaust snorkel, water will come into the engine. Ask LR the snorkel is for dusty environments only.

Yeah...only for "dust" --- I've come to the conclusion anyone with a north american spec LR4 with a snorkel is doing it for looks....please....please....someone correct me.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Oh. FACTS. Touche'.

How does water get up the exhaust of a running engine?

Guess Land Rover had it all wrong back when they actually gave a legitimate damn about off-roading?

CamelWading.jpg

">

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM