Spare tire winch on MY13

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For those of you who purchased a 2013 recently, could you check the mechanism of your spare tire winch when you happen to be back there? Mine thankfully still comes with the 22mm hex bolt that you can operate with a 22mm socket or the (crappy) supplied tool to loosen/tighten the lug nuts. I understand they may have changed the design on more recent builds to a different type of flange that you need to operate with the (even crappier) metal hook thingie for the scissors jack.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For those of you who purchased a 2013 recently, could you check the mechanism of your spare tire winch when you happen to be back there? Mine thankfully still comes with the 22mm hex bolt that you can operate with a 22mm socket or the (crappy) supplied tool to loosen/tighten the lug nuts. I understand they may have changed the design on more recent builds to a different type of flange that you need to operate with the (even crappier) metal hook thingie for the scissors jack.
Hey Umberto,

I will have to double check this afternoon (now I am curious), but I am almost sure when I took a look at it after I took delivery it was the 22mm hex bolt.

I'll let you know otherwise.

-David

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mine is the newer metal hook method. Its just flat on two sides I think, with the hole. You use the rod with the hook end to move it around.

It is a little awkward, but it works alright. I used it once already when I installed my RLD spare wheel protector.

Ill get pictures of it and post sometime soon.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMG_20130816_220659_zps73d78ba7.jpg

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One wonders what type of committee at Land Rover decided the original hex bolt design wasn't good enough after all these years and decided to inconvenience us just a little bit more.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just checked, and I have the hook loop as well. Will be using it soon to take off the shiny new full size wheel and put a coat of wheel wax on it. Will make it easier to remove all the road grime when I do my annual cleaning & pressure check on the spare.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just checked, and I have the hook loop as well. Will be using it soon to take off the shiny new full size wheel and put a coat of wheel wax on it. Will make it easier to remove all the road grime when I do my annual cleaning & pressure check on the spare.
Hey Paul,

Do you recommend any particular brand of wheel wax? I would like to do the same thing.

-David

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's actually called Wheel Wax. Here is a link:

http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/WW8.cfm

I have used it for years on my Audis since they create so much brake dust. Now using it on both Land Rovers as well. Makes brake dust removal so much easier. I just use the regular P21S body wash to wash the wheels. No need for any harsh chemicals that may damage the wheel finish.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's actually called Wheel Wax. Here is a link:

http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/WW8.cfm

I have used it for years on my Audis since they create so much brake dust. Now using it on both Land Rovers as well. Makes brake dust removal so much easier. I just use the regular P21S body wash to wash the wheels. No need for any harsh chemicals that may damage the wheel finish.
Thanks, Paul!

I have the black design package, so the wheels are pretty easy to clean and actually keep the clean look for a while (hides brake dust well). This will definitely help with the cleaning. Thanks again!

-David

Latest posts

Staff online

• joey
    Custom Rover Accessories

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rendak