Spark Plug Gapping

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jlach993

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Has anyone tried gapping their plugs to .50? I know factory is 0.40 for our engines. I know that a smaller gap tends to yield plugs that last longer at the cost of power and a larger gap gives more power at the cost of plug life. I don't really care about the plugs lasting another 100k miles. $80 and an hour to change em out is not a big deal for me. I wonder if it'll give a bit more power in the sense where i won't have to push my accelerator peddle as far down to maintain a certain speed as i currently have to. Any feedback from those well experienced with this topic is much appreciated. Thanks

16FujiDisco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don’t these take iridium or platinum plugs? I didn’t think you you gap them anymore than what was set, but maybe you get a set that has a different gap and matches the thread pitch/length etc.

jlach993

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don’t these take iridium or platinum plugs? I didn’t think you you gap them anymore than what was set, but maybe you get a set that has a different gap and matches the thread pitch/length etc.
yikes...sounds like more trouble than its worth. Not trying to open a can of worms here haha

greiswig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a scientific basis for the claim that a wider gap would give you more power or fuel economy. I suppose it’s possible.

OTOH, I have seen cases where the gap being too wide caused problems like the spark finding a path through insulation, the coils being unhappy, and so forth.

jlach993

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a scientific basis for the claim that a wider gap would give you more power or fuel economy. I suppose it’s possible.

OTOH, I have seen cases where the gap being too wide caused problems like the spark finding a path through insulation, the coils being unhappy, and so forth.
appreciate the input thanks

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72