Steal of a deal on an LR4 with issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LR4Slavo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A little update - I got a hold of a LR and Jaguar manuals, that's been a fantastic help.

So far I've tapped and threaded the inserts on 6 head bolt holes, hoping to knock out the rest minus 2 today, the remaining two are as a result of me waiting on the new head bolts as I'm getting the M11s, therefore I can't use the newly tapped holes with my old M10 head bolts, the NS300L instructions say to only use new head bolts in the inserts anyway.

Hoping to get the parts in this week as it's already been a week since I've put the order in but I haven't received any updates which has me slightly concerned.

BeemerNut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the record, Merriam has in most cases the best prices - a few things we're a couple of dollars more but since I'm only paying for a single shipping fee of $30, it makes sense to order as much as I can from them - they dont do returns and only take online/email orders so you have to be 100% sure you order the right parts. Hopefully nothing is backordered. Just some of the cooling components left to order such as the crossover pipes - I will be re-using the pump was it was newly installed right before the LR4 made its way into my garage.

Sometimes a little price shopping between suppliers results in big savings. I found a $47 difference in an OEM waterpump yet shipping was higher than the more expensive WP.
AUTOHAUS AZ. ordered "OEM" WP specified on order, received WP of Chyna origins. Longer down time returned POS.

Lower priced parts the supplier recovering profits by off the wall shipping costs making up their differences. .......~~=o&o>.......

LR4Slavo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sometimes a little price shopping between suppliers results in big savings. I found a $47 difference in an OEM waterpump yet shipping was higher than the more expensive WP.
AUTOHAUS AZ. ordered "OEM" WP specified on order, received WP of Chyna origins. Longer down time returned POS.

Lower priced parts the supplier recovering profits by off the wall shipping costs making up their differences. .......~~=o&o>.......
I specifically avoided AutohausAZ this time, you reaffirmed my decision with an earlier comment, also the two times I've dealt with them previously were both nightmares. In some cases they had great prices but it's such a hassle dealing with them that it's not worth the few saved $ for the potential aggravation.

So far Merriam is taking their sweet time; I sent a follow up email this morning and they said they'll be starting on my order "shortly", hoping I get the parts by the end of the week

BeemerNut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Waiting too long you'll forget how to reassemble your engine.
When done finding extra pars you should of installed? Ouch.

I lost a connection having LR employee discounts at a LR dealership when the service writer retired, soon afterwards the parts department friend moved up to the mountains away from the traffic jungle.

No more removed engines left at the dealershp by customers for the picking before being sent out as scrap metal.
Different era twenty years ago able to pull a 4.6 crank and rods out of a cooked engine, grab a good used block, already have several sets of heads and intakes. Able to scratch build an engine on the cheap for MGBGT V8 conversions. The ****** no 5-speeds being a rare imported item.

Sounds like your on the road of assembly. Hide the receipts, the wifey will **** you if she saw the total bill. ......~~=o&o>......

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The "OEM" tag shown at AutohausAZ is only an indicator of brand name, not COO. More aftermarket brands are changing suppliers/factories to different countries, so there is no guarantee the OEM part will be made in Europe. Some of the Genuine LR / JLR parts are made in China, for example the AJ133 (5.0L V8) oil filter.

I'm not a fan of AHAZ either and don't often buy from them. Their catalog is nearly identical to RM European, and I usually buy from RME. One plus for RME is they show approximate inventory levels so you can contact them and check if only 1-2 of the item are left in stock. I've had several AHAZ orders cancelled because they were out of stock, despite their website taking my $$$.

FCP Euro prices are slightly higher, but have lifetime warranty, and some parts indicate COO which is nice (but, not always current if there was a recent change in COO). FCP will at times remove a part from their catalog if they have a high number of returns or warranty claims; they at least make an attempt to not sell junk.

YMMV, etc.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WIX filters for the LR4 are manufactured in Jordan. You know Jordan, the country that springs to mind when you think "quality manufacturing". ;)

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been sticking with the JLR filter. I bought the Delco for grins but it was not a repackaged OEM. I haven't used the Delco. Both are made in China.

1645545458840.png

BeemerNut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Replacement front fender manual radio antenna ordered from LR dealership, "special order no returns" made in India.
The insult being it didn't fit the rubber grommet smaller in diameter than the fender hole. Again told "its a OEM LR part it should fit no returns".
Nothing like cutting then grinding down rubber on an arbor making a one off larger grommet making a OEM LR replacement POS antenna work......~~=o&o>.......

BeemerNut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WIX filters for the LR4 are manufactured in Jordan. You know Jordan, the country that springs to mind when you think "quality manufacturing". ;)

WIX for several years was right there near the top of list in quality also the ability to capture smaller micron particles in the first pass 90% test of their filter media material.
Jordan, go figure about the largest sandbox in the world.

HASTINGS filters the 7" long 426 holds 34 ounces alone with a lot more filtering meda surface area than any regular LR filter installed.
Cotton media installing a new filter on a dirty oil engine, by 200 miles the oil ended up a light amber vs starting out dark brown to almost black in color. Free from HASTINGS rep a what the hell free filter. I did have to add a quart as the filter required that amount but then one quart of clean oil mixed with 12 1/2 quarts dirty oil the lighter color result wasn't from that added quart alone.

Also run a 426 HASTINGS on the 4.6 LR engine now at 8 qts. 12 oz. total capacity, 1 1/2 qts. in the 3 qt. MasterLube.org Pre-Lube Accumulator.

I go by Blackstone Laboratories lab oil liking the oil results, not into hearsay. Pink also one of my favorite colors.....~~=o&o>......

Last edited:

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been sticking with the JLR filter. I bought the Delco for grins but it was not a repackaged OEM. I haven't used the Delco. Both are made in China.

View attachment 21715
How’s the quality compare? I run the Delco filters and haven’t had any complaints but I don’t have anything to compare.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Izanagi