Steal of a deal on an LR4 with issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How’s the quality compare? I run the Delco filters and haven’t had any complaints but I don’t have anything to compare.
The AC Delco looks very similar to JLR, but not identical. I might use it eventually. I was more interested in finding an aftermarket filter when the JLR filter price was higher. The OE filters had been $30+ a few years ago, but now can be found for ~$22. The Delco is ~$16 on Amazon. Being the nervous type I would probably pay the extra six bucks, as long as the OE price doesn't shoot up again.

:flute:

greiswig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HASTINGS filters the 7" long 426 holds 34 ounces alone with a lot more filtering meda surface area than any regular LR filter installed.
Cotton media installing a new filter on a dirty oil engine, by 200 miles the oil ended up a light amber vs starting out dark brown to almost black in color. Free from HASTINGS rep a what the hell free filter. I did have to add a quart as the filter required that amount but then one quart of clean oil mixed with 12 1/2 quarts dirty oil the lighter color result wasn't from that added quart alone.
It's kind of hard to understand what you're trying to say, but are you saying that you found a Hastings filter that you feel is superior for the LR4? If so, what filter and what engine? I found a 426 suffix that refers to a spin-on filter, but clearly isn't for the LR4. They list a LF661 for our engines, but nothing about filter media or country of origin. So again, I don't know what you're trying to say here.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe Mahle is the same as OEM. They look identical, anyway. I generally order whichever one is cheaper on Amazon. Lately, the JLR filter has been the cheaper one.

LR4Slavo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe Mahle is the same as OEM. They look identical, anyway. I generally order whichever one is cheaper on Amazon. Lately, the JLR filter has been the cheaper one.
what are you typically paying for a filter? FCP has the Mahle ones on discount for $27.29, made in Bulgaria vs the LR branded ones listed for $43 and made in China. FCP states that both the Mahle and Mann's are OEM.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I buy from Amazon. They're generally around $27. Right now, though, looks like the Mahle is $28 and the JLR is $33.36.

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LR of Merriam in Kansas sells the OE JLR filter for <$22, but with shipping you'd need to buy other stuff to make it worth it.

Same for LR Virginia Beach:

LR4Slavo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update: Got a call from Merriam this morning, the only back ordered part is the crank seal, so I asked that they cancel that and throw in a couple of oil filters in place. I'll see if I can get a crank seal sourced locally to keep the project moving. As for the headbolt re-tapping, I got through 12 of the headbolt holes over the weekend, the worst one so far was the lower passenger side one (Closest to the firewall), took a bit of finagling but finally got that one done and the others went a lot smoother, I got myself a Milwaukee right hand drill (any excuse for a new tool) and its been a Godsend. I'll update with some pictures shortly! Its been balls cold the last few days so I haven't made any progress since but I plan on finishing those this weekend.

To my wifey's dismay, I'm super pumped about picking up another project! 1994 Kawasaki 750 SS with trailer for free off craigslist on Monday night. Came with titles to both as well, hasn't run in 10 years but apparently was running right before it was put away. Body need a bit of TLC, nothing major.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What Milwaukee did you get? I'm shopping right now for myself. I've got the electric ratchet but am looking at impacts now.

LR4Slavo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Milwaukee Hole Hawg 2807-20, in some cases I needed to put the drill bit in the jig/headbolt hole first and then put the drill over top and tighten in place. I also removed the back handle for the crammed areas but despite its large appearance its worked perfectly well without me even needing to undo any of the engine mounts. I love my milwaukee tools, I also have the ratchet, such a time saver. I have the 1/2 impact wrench (2962-20) which is a monster, this thing pulls off lugs on my F350 like nothing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV