Still apprehensive

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rene Koesler

Reaction score
After owning a 90's Discovery which was the biggest POS ever, even after owning a nearly perfect Series II Disco, an LR3, and now a 16 LR4, all of which have been great, I'm still apprehensive and nervous anytime I get in the LR4 to go somewhere thinking and expecting the worst. Am I just psychologically blemished now for the rest of my life because of one bad experience? Except for the infamous brake light switch, my LR4 at 53,000 miles has had no issues. On the other hand, I have no qualms about going anywhere in either my Toyota truck or Mercedes cars as I have 100% confidence I'll get there. Not so with the LR. WTH?

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A 90's Discovery is a whole different vehicle than a modern Land Rover. Back then, Land Rover still used a lot of their own electronics, or, even worse, Lucas. Dig into a modern Land Rover and you see they've outsourced the parts production to all the same companies used by other car manufacturers, including Toyota. Denso, Bosch, etc.

I owned a 94 Discovery for about a year and a half (bought it in 97 with 20k miles on it) and couldn't get rid of it fast enough. I've had my 2012 LR4 for almost 5 years and it's been almost as reliable as the 80-series Land Cruiser I bought shortly after I sold the 94 Disco.

The biggest daily worries in an LR4 are the coolant crossover pipes. Toyota has its daily worries too.

manoftaste

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After owning a 90's Discovery which was the biggest POS ever, even after owning a nearly perfect Series II Disco, an LR3, and now a 16 LR4, all of which have been great, I'm still apprehensive and nervous anytime I get in the LR4 to go somewhere thinking and expecting the worst. Am I just psychologically blemished now for the rest of my life because of one bad experience? Except for the infamous brake light switch, my LR4 at 53,000 miles has had no issues. On the other hand, I have no qualms about going anywhere in either my Toyota truck or Mercedes cars as I have 100% confidence I'll get there. Not so with the LR. WTH?

From 06 LR3 to now 16 LR4 here as well with only 15.7k so far, and not gonna lie, feelings are mutual.

Always have this looming fear that a part can fail at any time, specially the air suspension components, anytime I am thinking about out of town, away from civilization into the desert drives without the company of friends in another vehicle.

Thats just the way it is with all LR products unfortunately with no realistic or any concrete efforts to address this customer experience and/or perception. No visible, lie-to-me and make-me-feel-good-about-my-purchase marketing efforts either.

In some of the Defender marketing videos, I did see one of the lead talking heads (not sure what his title was, customer experience personnel or product engineer, etc) talking about making sure that the Defender was durable.

But after touching and feeling out the SUV first hand and reading an article about the author' visual observation that quite a few of its suspension related components are most likely being pulled/repurposed from the D5 parts bin (not sure how true that is though), I for one have zero hopes of it being any reliable.

It would have been one thing if LR had gone a bit out of its way to communicate the reliability aspects of things in the new Defender to the potential customers, but they have not, and that tells me something.

If they really had put in some time and money into the reliability and durability areas, I am sure the bean counters there would have beaten the sh*t out of this effort of LR via marketing. But we dont hear and see none of that. So IMHO even this latest gen LR product is as reliable and durable as any of its recent gen products starting from the 2002 RR or LR3.

Having owned LR3 and 4 from 2006 to now, I could easily tell you that the build quality and parts quality have seriously deteriorated and declined over these past fourteen years in this, for the large part, same exact vehicle, making my 2006 LR3 the most reliable and best built LR vehicle ever out of the three that I have owned ('06 LR3, '13 and '16 LR4) over the last fourteen years.

Rene Koesler

Reaction score
Those are great responses "manoftaste" and "ryanjl" and I appreciate your observations and feel the same. I've had nine Toyota's and eleven different Mercedes' and none have been any more reliable or dependable than my LR's but they haven't produced the almost PTSD that LR has. And, I'm sorry to say Mercedes has built some really crappy vehicles during certain times. And I've noticed the build quality of American or Mexico made Toyota trucks go downhill compared to those that used to come from Japan. Oh well, it is what it is. I still love my LR4 and I've literally driven the crap out of it more so than my other three vehicles, and it's been really good so I should just be glad. Happy motoring!

Troy A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those are great responses "manoftaste" and "ryanjl" and I appreciate your observations and feel the same. I've had nine Toyota's and eleven different Mercedes' and none have been any more reliable or dependable than my LR's but they haven't produced the almost PTSD that LR has. And, I'm sorry to say Mercedes has built some really crappy vehicles during certain times. And I've noticed the build quality of American or Mexico made Toyota trucks go downhill compared to those that used to come from Japan. Oh well, it is what it is. I still love my LR4 and I've literally driven the crap out of it more so than my other three vehicles, and it's been really good so I should just be glad. Happy motoring!
Let me just say that I share this vague apprehension (and sold a 2018 4Runner to move to my 2013 LR4.)

My take-away from this thread and the "LR4s holding their value thread" is that all manufacturers vehicles can have issues and that if we want to be sure of the vehicle then it's up to us to aggressively, smartly, and proactively maintain our vehicles.

Having said that, when I did my 2000 mile desert trip, you can be damned sure that I had: E-rated tires; tools including shovel, maxtrax; go-bag with sleeping kit and map/compass (and I know how to use them), personal locator GPS beacon; sat phone; and somebody on overwatch that I checked in with every 24 hours, so that if the thing stranded me 100 miles from anywhere with no cell reception that I had multiple options for getting the hell out of there intact.

So I mitigate my own anxiety with very proactive maintenance and also preparation in case the **** hits the fan. I suppose it's trained good habits in, regardless of which vehicle I'm in.

Hope that helps the original poster!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm weird. My 2006 LR3 has been a POS compared to my 2010 LR4. Constant stuff breaking (or did it has settled down lately)

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm weird. My 2006 LR3 has been a POS compared to my 2010 LR4. Constant stuff breaking (or did it has settled down lately)

Totally agree. Our LR3 was not a confidence-inspiring vehicle. Suddenly the radio would go silent, or the AC stop blowing or random dash warning lights would come on...all usually resolved by a simple restart. Ours did light-up the "Christmas Tree of death" (all warning lights come on) lower the suspension and go into limp mode on the George Washington Bridge while on a trip with the whole family and dog. I crawled down the shoulder with hazard lights flashing to the next rest stop. I was prepared and installed a new brake switch and we were back on our way.

Through 126K miles, our LR4 has never pulled a stunt like that. I can say that I am completely confident taking it on any trip, even at this mileage.

ar077

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...In some of the Defender marketing videos, I did see one of the lead talking heads (not sure what his title was, customer experience personnel or product engineer, etc) talking about making sure that the Defender was durable.

But after touching and feeling out the SUV first hand and reading an article about the author' visual observation that quite a few of its suspension related components are most likely being pulled/repurposed from the D5 parts bin (not sure how true that is though), I for one have zero hopes of it being any reliable....

Do you have any irrefutable data to back up your attack on the D5's reliability (most of them are still under warranty) or is this just another one of your unsupported opinions?

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I quote my Dad, may he RIP. "Things that move break". Fix it and drive on. Ain't worth worrying about.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72