Think these will fit?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The spokes look pretty beefy. No numbers on the inside of the barrels? Seems strange for the Germans not to have that imprinted on the wheel.

Wrstewart

Reaction score
The guys in Oz are running these wheels on the D4 so at least I’m not the Guinea pig.

I just tried the 17’s on the stock rear and they barely rub. I’m wondering if I can get away with grinding the corner off the caliper mounts and calling it a day. That will save some money in parts, time, and rear braking capacity.

IMG_2938.jpeg

Wrstewart

Reaction score
There are several stamps on the back side of the spokes. The only one that looks like it might be a weight rating is “1236”. If it is then that would be 2725 lbs.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are several stamps on the back side of the spokes. The only one that looks like it might be a weight rating is “1236”. If it is then that would be 2725 lbs.

Sounds about right. The X5 is pretty beefy itself. Keep that rear clearance in mind when the tire shop starts using stick on weights or use rim hammer ons.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Am I right in recalling that the original X5 shares a lot of chassis with the L322? Would make sense, as the 3rd gen FFRR was created and released when Land Rover was under BMW ownership.

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
@Wrstewart Those are THE exact wheels I have. I've put them through some pretty tough stuff and was fine. I've even gone 50 mph on desert sand hitting a huge ditch that dented my FRO sump skid plate and the wheels are fine. 1 of the front wheel dented the barrel, but didn't have an issue driving out of there plus I run 2 spares. BMW does NOT post Load Index on their wheels. The X5 wheels are adequate and cheap to replace if need be.

I talked to @djkaosone and got the parts list. I was working under the assumption that the LR4 shared front brake calipers with the LR3 but it turns out the LR3's are much smaller. I'm a little nervous now of the reduced braking capability but I'm too deep to change at this point. I should get the new calipers on Friday. Good news is there is a rumor that I might not need to chage the rears at all. I'll try that out today and post updates.

-Richard
I don't drive my LR4 like a sports car (anymore), so, stopping on a dime while going over 70 mph isn't a factor to me. However, I do recommend better brake pads and upgrading to SS brake lines to reduce the squishy brake feel. I recommend EBC green or better up front and SS brake lines all around to get you a near oem brake feel.

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
The guys in Oz are running these wheels on the D4 so at least I’m not the Guinea pig.

I just tried the 17’s on the stock rear and they barely rub. I’m wondering if I can get away with grinding the corner off the caliper mounts and calling it a day. That will save some money in parts, time, and rear braking capacity.

View attachment 24146
Interesting, on mine, both sides have a 3mm gap. You can definitely grind the corners a bit for clearance. Just don't overdue it.

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd hit that caliper bracket with an angle grinder. Those silver rims look good on the LR3 with the Land Rover center caps. But if the BMW that they came from weighs less than the LR4 I wouldn't put them on or I wouldn't carry a full load.

Wrstewart

Reaction score
I don’t have an angle grinder, but I do have a tiny hand file! I filed down that spot, put the wheel on, and it was rubbing in a different spot. Ground more off, wheel rubbed more. This cycle repeated about 19 times until I gave up and ordered spacers. The wheels fit with the spacers but discount tire won’t touch anything with floating spacers so I’m stuck until the rear calipers and rotors I re-ordered arrive. I’m a little relieved though that I won’t have to rely on the spacers, the lack of lug thread engagement was a little scary.

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The spacers also affect the wheel bearings and can wear them out prematurely.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72