Try To Keep The Abuse to a Minimum . . .

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Neild: I don't think it was harsh at all...the Honda and the BMW are both great vehicles, but they are different. That's my point. A sill-mounted slider may do the job...but to compare it to the RS slider...well, it's just not the same animal.

David...I am still trying to understand you. You ask questions about such advanced mods (winches and RS Sliders and tires) yet you've never really been off-road. How much of a detailed description of the water do you need before you decide to jump in?

Get some tires, go off-road. Then see what you need next. You've gotten a TON of good input already. Do you wanna wheel or not?

All the LR3 really needs is tires. Beyond that, it's sliders and skids. That's ALL. Just go for it, buddy...you'll learn over time and as you go. Up here in the NW my rig was generally the first LR3 to do anything. I've been a pioneer in my club. I've learned...first I added tires, then skids...I skid plated my ****** running boards. They held up okay but I finally got the RS Sliders. You sort of have to get a feel for it before you know how you want to build your rig.

...but hit a trail for goodness sake! You can't really know until you do. The sill-mounted sliders will probably work but they are not as good as the RS version, okay? They aren't. They won't be no matter how you cut it. The RS Sliders are THE BEST. Period.

Trynian

Reaction score
@Neild: I don't think it was harsh at all...the Honda and the BMW are both great vehicles, but they are different. That's my point. A sill-mounted slider may do the job...but to compare it to the RS slider...well, it's just not the same animal.

David...I am still trying to understand you. You ask questions about such advanced mods (winches and RS Sliders and tires) yet you've never really been off-road. How much of a detailed description of the water do you need before you decide to jump in?

Get some tires, go off-road. Then see what you need next. You've gotten a TON of good input already. Do you wanna wheel or not?

All the LR3 really needs is tires. Beyond that, it's sliders and skids. That's ALL. Just go for it, buddy...you'll learn over time and as you go. Up here in the NW my rig was generally the first LR3 to do anything. I've been a pioneer in my club. I've learned...first I added tires, then skids...I skid plated my ****** running boards. They held up okay but I finally got the RS Sliders. You sort of have to get a feel for it before you know how you want to build your rig.

...but hit a trail for goodness sake! You can't really know until you do. The sill-mounted sliders will probably work but they are not as good as the RS version, okay? They aren't. They won't be no matter how you cut it. The RS Sliders are THE BEST. Period.

I agree.

Anytime you venture offroad you stand the chance of damage to your vehicle. You will scratch your paint, you will scuff and dent your under carriage. Just last weekend on an easy trail a new member roled his new 94 D90.

If you a so wary of noise or possible damage, best not go. Otherwise as I have mentioned before most of your questions will be answered on the trail as you will see all the different options in action. There are members in the club with all the different options.

I gave you an option to go on the Joshua Tree run that you wanted with the club and you no/showed.

Until you get out there we can't really help you any further then we have.

davidfkon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen . . . yes I know it is hard to understand me . . .
I have recently bought an AWSOME vehicle with a lot of history and capability . . .

I read about the extreme and not so extreme adventures that all have gone through. . . yes, I know when one goes off road there is the potential for damage as seen by the maiden voyage of the D90 at Cleghorn.

I ask my questions w/out having gone off road in an attempt to hopefully have at least SOME understanding of what I will be going through so I can attempt to be somewhat ready.

Trynian, I know you gave me an option for Joshua Tree and I am grateful . . . I am trying to find the way to mix my work/family life with my new found Rover interests – honestly I AM working on it

Anyway . . . thanks for the input and will not ask these type of questions until I have some experience . . .

Last edited:

Neild

Full Access Member
Reaction score
David,

Questions are fine but there really is no substitute for getting out there and just doing it.

Do you have Pay and Play sites in the US for off roading?. If so that would be a great idea. They are usually run by a club who will be more than happy to do a follow my leader route through basic stuff that will be undamaging to a standard car.

Then, If you get the bug, do some more. And when you think oppps, that could have hurt, look at what's on the market.

We all have started somewhere......

Good luck and enjoy. Just remember: It takes a bigger man to say no, I dont fancy that part/section of the track/route and pull out, than go through it....

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
David, don't take it so hard, man. I only meant that you're splitting hairs at this point and what would serve you best is to just do it! I don't much like Phil Knight or Nike because he is a UO alumnus and is a bit scandalous, but I had to borrow his trademarked phrase...

As for mixing the wife 'n kids into the mix, easy solution....just let her drive a little! Go for a shorter run. I take my wife 'n kids all the time. I let my 14 year old son drive a little too...the LR3 can take care of itself on an easy trails and driving keeps them interested!

Last edited:

Neild

Full Access Member
Reaction score
D3/LR3 Events / outings are great for families!

Bad Bonez BJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've only been off-road once without my family (wife & 2 boys). They love going and yes, let them drive. Makes for more fun. Make sure to get a good set of tires - and just go...

BJ

duckdive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Definately a buy/modify as you go process.
Tires: Got A/T's AFTER I tore the crap out of my stock Goodyears.
Sliders: Got sliders AFTER I tore the crap out plastic sill covers.
Skids: Got skids AFTER I dented in my gas tank to where if I took one more
good shot, I would have had to replace the tank.

All these modificatins were lessons learned and inspired by spending time on the trail. Don't go out and blow an ass-load of money until you know to what extent you are going to use you vehicle. Make sense? It's being able to distinguish WANTS vs. NEEDS. You have plenty of time to put a bunch crud on your truck, don't rush it!

DD

Last edited:

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah...I don't know how many times I've looked at my wife and said "babe, I FINALLY have this rig built just how I want it."

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The RS is available without nerfs. This is the most streamlined look you can get with complete protection. The uninitiated will not even know you have sliders. It is CLEAN looking.

Stage 1's without the stand-off tubes. Very clean:

Sliders-Stage1-09.gif

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635