Ultimate Towing Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DaytonaRS7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
currently waiting for my new boat to be built and it should be delivered. later this month.
3000lbs dry + 1050lb trailer = 4050lbs dry. by the time its loaded up, I assume ill be 4500-5000lbs.

this will be the first thing im towing. anything specific I need to know?

trips will be relatively short; about 10miles each way, a couple times a year.
Atlantic British tow harness and hitch are being installed this week.

Last edited:

Paul M

Reaction score
I'm doing great towing a 23" trailer with my 2016 LR4, but I'm getting beyond terrible gas mileage. I'm pulling over every 2 hours to refuel, and it makes long trips a lot longer.

Any suggestions on how to improve that? Whether it's additives, or tune up, or driving style, I'm looking for anything that will help.

Thanks in advance!

Long Range America auxiliary fuel tank

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
currently waiting for my new boat to be built and it should be delivered. later this month.
3000lbs dry + 1050lb trailer = 4050lbs dry. by the time its loaded up, I assume ill be 4500-5000lbs.

this will be the first think im towing. anything specific I need to know?

trips will be relatively short; about 10miles each way, a couple times a year.
Atlantic British tow harness and hitch are being installed this week.

Congrats on the new boat. We got back into the boating lifestyle late last season after a long layoff and can’t wait for the new season. Boat stays on a lift, though.

Your sentence was a little ambiguous and I couldn’t tell if you were getting both the AB wiring harness and the AB bolt on hitch (or some other hitch). If you get the AB hitch, pack your torque wrench. I thought I had seen reports of it loosening up a bit after initial use so you’ll want to keep an eye on it during your maiden voyage. The weight you’re towing seems well within the usual specs for the LR4. What are you doing for brake controller?

DaytonaRS7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Congrats on the new boat. We got back into the boating lifestyle late last season after a long layoff and can’t wait for the new season. Boat stays on a lift, though.

Your sentence was a little ambiguous and I couldn’t tell if you were getting both the AB wiring harness and the AB bolt on hitch (or some other hitch). If you get the AB hitch, pack your torque wrench. I thought I had seen reports of it loosening up a bit after initial use so you’ll want to keep an eye on it during your maiden voyage. The weight you’re towing seems well within the usual specs for the LR4. What are you doing for brake controller?

thanks. Im looking forward toit. it'll be our first boat. We have a slip about 20 minutes from the house, but i know ill have to tow it a few times a year, launching, pulling, and any big storms.

both AB wiring and AB hitch.
I have read about the bolts for the AB hitch (and similar styles). I plan to install the bolts with some blue loctite. Ill bring the torque wrench just to be safe though.

trailer is equipped with surge brakes, so i don't think i need to do anything?

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a great situation with a slip that close to home! Mine is 45 minutes away but I'll happily make that drive any day of the week during the season and even in the offseason just to check on it. I've been out at least once per month over this winter. A good excuse to grab a beer in Annapolis.

Surge brakes should be totally safe with a load of that size and reasonable driving manners. Others who tow boats a lot may have some tips on protecting your wiring back there when you splash the boat. You probably don't have to do a thing but a spritz of WD-40 on your main connectors after each launch cycle would be easy enough to do. Depending on your trailer setup and tongue length and layout of the ramp your hitch and electrics may not even get wet. Enjoy!

Pfunk951

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Meh! Here's some serious towing weight.. This weighs 1,100 (Eleven Hundred) pounds full of food, beer, and backpacks, and has a crippling tongue weight of 30 lbs.. In all honesty, I can't even tell it's there when I'm on the highway..

20210227_105415.jpg

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Meh! Here's some serious towing weight.. This weighs 1,100 (Eleven Hundred) pounds full of food, beer, and backpacks, and has a crippling tongue weight of 30 lbs.. In all honesty, I can't even tell it's there when I'm on the highway..

View attachment 12598

I've been wanting one of these!!!

Is that an M416?

The addition of an 80lb dog has taken up too much space in the back. Trailer looks awesome.

Pfunk951

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Close, it's a M101CDN2- a beefier, updated version of the M416. Excellent overlanding trailer, and a fun project that you can build as you go. 20210227_190318.jpg

Al Pizzica

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Towed my Jeep TJ to a Jeep event last year. Jeep is about 3900# and the trailer is a little over 2k, so call it 6,000#
Going and stopping were great. Handling is better with a longer truck.
I got some sway in the setup initially but I moved the Jeep forward another two inches and it went away.
Finding the balance of tongue weight and stability is crucial, always err towards maxing out tongue weight.

20200612_142115.jpg

Paul M

Reaction score
will be towing an Airstream trailer when it's done being renovated. I notice that you previous posters are all using what looks like the stock side view mirrors. Anyone have any experience with the ClearView replacement towing mirrors? I was going to get them installed but my local repair shop tells me that installing them may require a program reset available to dealerships - and they can't tell whether my LR4 will require it or not, which may disable the assist functions I currently have!
I purchased those mirrors from Atlantic British and the remote functions work but you have to extend manually. I tow. 23’ fb international as with ease as the 23’ only has 500lb hitch weight

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV