Well she's here!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
.. Luckily, the LR4 has undergone no such changes, the rear hatch is still the same manual type and the 825W sound system still sounds as good as it did in 2010, even though the supplier may have changed (from Harman to Meridian.)

Or you are stuck with the crappy base stereo system in your LR4. :bawling:

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Surfrider, what did you do to black out the vents and the grill? Do you have close ups of it? I like it, looks good. At least in that tiny avatar picture it does!

LR4USN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good then sound system hasn't been messed with.

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Surfrider, what did you do to black out the vents and the grill? Do you have close ups of it? I like it, looks good. At least in that tiny avatar picture it does!

Yea, my silver truck was just a tad too much silver with the grille and vents also being silver. I am sure you can have them painted, but I actually bought OEM parts in Santorini Black off of E-Bay. (Not the cheapest route, for sure) I also bought the black lettering "LAND ROVER" hood and "DISCOVERY 4" on the back.

Here is a pic, but the truck was fairly dirty.

*Edit* Found another cleaner and up close.

Attachments

• 2015-04-03 16.13.02.jpg
    2015-04-03 16.13.02.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 40
  • 2014-05-12 05.37.59.jpg
    2014-05-12 05.37.59.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:

TCM75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Congrats; beautiful color!

Here is my $.02 as a newbie - got my LR4 in April and have about 2500 miles now.

1) Sport mode - seems to drop one gear down no matter what speed you are going. Yes, it definitely increases the shift points upwards but I don't find it overly-aggressive.

2) taillights - I actually like the look of LR3 lights in the daytime, but the LR4 lights at night (illuminated).

3) nav unit - only complaint is the 2 second delay after pressing each letter using the "keyboard".

4) Horn - I just love those horn buttons. To me, this is so much better than a large area that "kind-of" works...you know, it's easier in the center but more effort required as you get further out. I can roll my thumb immediately over and hit one of the bars for a short "tap-tap" or long blast depending on what's needed. At least for me, much faster than quickly taking a hand off the wheel and punching at the horn in an emergency. A louder horn would be more appropriate for the drivers we have here in NJ, lol.

5) eco mode - lots of people have posted on this and I mentioned I don't have a major problem. I usually leave it on and turn it off when I want to. ONLY thing is that recently I have run into situations where the car shuts down "unexpectedly". Turns out if you take your seatbelt off and then release the brake pedal it assumes you are getting out and shuts down - surprise!

6) HVAC recirculate. I am surprised I haven't seen anyone mention this, as it's the most annoying feature to me (and I am not talking about the feature itself). When you push the button, the entire Nav screen blanks out to tell you that "Recirculate -Timed Mode" is activated, or something like that. Is this really mission critical information that you need to take my map away, LR? I use the map to know which street to turn down even though I do not have an actual destination entered. Happened a few times now that I missed a turn due to the "urgent message". Just funny.

Best of luck with your LR4.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Surfrider, that looks really great. Much better than monochrome - all silver IMO. i might look into this plastidip and try it out. If it looks good, I might try to pick up some black LR3 (would they fit?) wheel arches.

Latest '*** is going' on moment. Sirius keeps scaring the **** out of me with this super loud beep and notifies me that some song or other is playing on another station, do I want to switch channels? Maybe because I signed up for a free trial and it's messing with me, I dunno but it's pretty idiotic.

I've also noticed if you get on the phone or use voice control while turning, your turn signal goes silent. Nice touch!

TCM my sport mode will drop down at least 2 gears. So much so that if there's a red light ahead I can just put it in sport mode and engine brake to the light. Not the end of the world, but a little nutty. Haven't tried recirculate mode, probably lawyers worrying about people dying from running out of oxygen...

And this is my first car with Bluetooth so maybe they all do it, but if I switch to the "my music" mode it automatically auto starts my iTunes on the iPhone. Kinda neat :)

Last edited:

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
roverman, go to Sat Radio > Settings > Song Seek and turn that feature off. While you are there, erase songs in memory as well, chances are the previous owner didn't have your same taste in music anyway. The annoying beeps and notifications should stop at once.

Recirculation mode is a bit silly, and the message popping up on the touchscreen is not even my main issue with it. Recirculation is either timed (meaning it will shut off by itself after several minutes) or permanent - if you hold the Recirc button for a few seconds until the touchscreen confirms "Latched Recirculation" is engaged... But it is only "permanent" until the next ignition recycle, which is real fun when off-roading in very dusty environments, pretty much always here in SoCal, if you forget to touch that button again after stopping and turning off the engine for whatever reason... Also, permanent recirc. will automatically disengage the automatic climate control. Why? Your guess is as good as mine.

Last edited:

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4) Horn - I just love those horn buttons.

The first time you are steering hard in a "panic" situation to avoid whatever is in front of you and wish to honk your horn at the same time, I dare you to find those tiny, skinny horn sticks without looking. There is a 50/50 chance you'll just be pushing on some hard plastic instead. Form over function, trust me.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Umberto!
You're like the LR4 whisperer around here. Very glad to have you around!

Regarding the horns they are hard to find in a panic. Sort of like the motorcycle I have. The horn button is eactly the same as the cancel turn signal button, but on opposite side of the handle bars. Needless to say, in a panic situation, not a whole lot happens when you cancel your turn signal at the ******* in front of you!

andyboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea, my silver truck was just a tad too much silver with the grille and vents also being silver. I am sure you can have them painted, but I actually bought OEM parts in Santorini Black off of E-Bay. (Not the cheapest route, for sure) I also bought the black lettering "LAND ROVER" hood and "DISCOVERY 4" on the back.

Here is a pic, but the truck was fairly dirty.

*Edit* Found another cleaner and up close.

Was it a pain to put on the black land rover badge? I want to do this but I don't want to screw it up.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo