What did you do with your Lr4 Today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does the 4x4 screen on your satnav show any wheels going crazy?

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess I only wrench on holidays.

This weekend I did a couple of odd jobs and fixed something that popped up.

When I did my spark plugs over Thanksgiving, I noticed while reinstalling a coil on the passenger side that the electrical connection did not "click" when plugging it in. I removed that coil again and saw that the plastic nub on the coil that would hold the electrical connection in had somehow broken off. I used a UV glue pen to put a little ball in that spot, then used a razor blade to give it a sharp edge that the electrical connecter could latch onto. I knew that fix was temporary, though, and replaced it with a new coil this weekend. The glue was still holding up, but that coil will just be an emergency spare for now. Unfortunately, the coil was the second one from the back, which required me to remove the battery box again.

I also replaced both of my PCV valves. No sign they needed replaced, but I figured since I just crossed 100k miles it would be good preventative maintenance. While the caps were brittle and the tabs broke off, the rubber valves themselves were still perfect. Probably didn't need to be done at all. But at least I won't worry about it needing to be done anytime soon.

While on the road this weekend, got a CEL for a driver-side MAF sensor. Hit it with some MAF cleaner (and made sure all the intake hoses were clamped tight) and it cleared it right up.

Michael Gain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can relate. This long weekend SHOULD allow me to replace both exhaust manifold gaskets, motor mounts, and the thermostat. Cooling fan hasn't shipped yet, but that will follow pretty closely---this is all assuming my wife's to-do list has not grown in the last 15 minutes.

I guess I only wrench on holidays.

This weekend I did a couple of odd jobs and fixed something that popped up.

When I did my spark plugs over Thanksgiving, I noticed while reinstalling a coil on the passenger side that the electrical connection did not "click" when plugging it in. I removed that coil again and saw that the plastic nub on the coil that would hold the electrical connection in had somehow broken off. I used a UV glue pen to put a little ball in that spot, then used a razor blade to give it a sharp edge that the electrical connecter could latch onto. I knew that fix was temporary, though, and replaced it with a new coil this weekend. The glue was still holding up, but that coil will just be an emergency spare for now. Unfortunately, the coil was the second one from the back, which required me to remove the battery box again.

I also replaced both of my PCV valves. No sign they needed replaced, but I figured since I just crossed 100k miles it would be good preventative maintenance. While the caps were brittle and the tabs broke off, the rubber valves themselves were still perfect. Probably didn't need to be done at all. But at least I won't worry about it needing to be done anytime soon.

While on the road this weekend, got a CEL for a driver-side MAF sensor. Hit it with some MAF cleaner (and made sure all the intake hoses were clamped tight) and it cleared it right up.

LR4inAZ

Reaction score
I changed the front Air Struts - lots of fun!

I have a 2011... air struts I took off were 2016... interesting since dealer never told me they were replaced at any time...

hopefully they last longer than 5 years

Michael Gain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So...about the exhaust manifold gaskets... I think I'll let an Indy replace those.

Well, I started on the driver-side since it would be the hardest. Topix printouts were helpful, but did not convey how limited the space actually is. Basically, everything is in the way on the driver side: front diff, steering shaft, a/C compressor, and power steering pump.

I took off all of the heat shields behind the upper control arm, but still had no access to the actual manifold heat shield bolts. Valve cover makes it impossible from the top. Front diff makes it impossible from the bottom.

I think, if I had a lift, it would be easier to come in from the sides: remove power steering pump, a.c. compressor, and motor mount; but laying on the floor didn't work out.

I put everything back together and started my wife's to-do list.

Troy A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took ours out to Hollister Hill OHV park the other day to crawl around and see how the pup handled being in the truck on rough trails. No vomit so that was a win. Only did the blue trails. Didn't attempt all of Truck Hill as the sand was pretty damp and slippery. My Cooper ST MAXX were not great on anything wet and muddy even down at 33 psi.

1cd79dac7e514eddf0a9760905b7b94a.jpg

cbe5fedb11c4a6e1cd9a708de5cdc9b5.jpg

b1076ba7efb6462cb27d4f8099a1ed87.jpg

f37c8abfb38666b98b6a9a05f5121e64.jpg

3cdd8d4fc1f9a0228dcc6ebf8a730a39.jpg

9fb1e1403eaf190dba668535917fde44.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LR4inAZ

Reaction score
Looks like fun - who gets sick first? Dog or you? :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM