What Does This Sound Like? (Video)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Does This Sound Like a Vacuum Leak? (Video)

Take a listen right as my foot hits the accelerator. Sounds like a vacuum leak of some kind. Definitely coming from the left side of the engine bay.

There's quite a bit of gunk around the PCV, so I'll be replacing that. Took out the intake/resonator/filter assembly.

Couldn't find any cracks. But, it is certainly a sucking sound. And, I've lost about 2mpg on avg.

http://youtu.be/IpE4ECmR-04

Let me know what you think. Much appreciated.

-RovinGreenville :biggrin:

Last edited:

waspjr123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Crab some carb kleen or intake medic and while the engine is running spray some around lines and flanges

waspjr123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also everyone should have one of these
1ab7a2eeaea4d02dcec7237dda166e77.jpg

Plug it in after your maf un cap your oil filler and air it up to 15psi and simply listen or spray soapy water.
Don't use high pressure

Last edited:
Reaction score
waspjr123 - Thank you for your insight. Will check it out. Ultimately, you think I'm on the right track?

waspjr123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
waspjr123 - Thank you for your insight. Will check it out. Ultimately, you think I'm on the right track?

I would say so but generally a air leak after the maf would result in a hunting or high rpm at idle. You will hear a wish like that because the air passing by the throttle valve

Reaction score
Interestingly enough, I've cleaned the Throttle Body as it was stumbling under hard braking. It was pretty badly varnished. That fixed my idle issue. I wonder if I damaged the gasket upon re-installation.

Normal idle is around 600-800. Obviously, it's higher at start up, and drops back after a few seconds.

Genuinely appreciate your help!

waspjr123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interestingly enough, I've cleaned the Throttle Body as it was stumbling under hard braking. It was pretty badly varnished. That fixed my idle issue. I wonder if I damaged the gasket upon re-installation.

Normal idle is around 600-800. Obviously, it's higher at start up, and drops back after a few seconds.

Genuinely appreciate your help!

No problem do you have access to some carb kleen and that is how its spelt lol or intake medic? When its running if you spray around and hit the leak area you will hear the engine rev up its a cheap and easy way to look for leaks obviously tho dont spray ur right on your exhaust or anything it's best when the engine isn't screaming hot

Reaction score
I'm sure I can pick some up, will give it a look-see tomorrow.

Any reason I shouldn't drive it to work and back? :ahhhhh:

waspjr123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well i mean its probably fine but its going to have a lean condition if there is a leak. If it was me i would drive it. Go u have a cel light. ?

Reaction score
No CEL at all.

I've used Storey Wilson's 4DCan software and have not been able to pull any codes. My indie mechanic, Eurover, haven't gleaned any codes either.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM