What is the beep?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My '88 bmw even had it, although the 15 doughnuts I turned when the roads got slick was also a very good indicator....

goinsurfin

Reaction score
It has front and rear pdc but why would it happen at a light without a car in front of me? There were no other icons or warning lights that go on simultaneously. However, there is an "i" that appears when i scroll through the trip computer. I don't know how to access the i to read the message if there is a message...

any thoughts there?

duckdive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
By pressing the botton at the end of the turn signal lever you can read your "i" messages.
You may have to press more than once. I think the manual covers this function in detail.

Last edited:

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You didn't happen to see one of these after hearing the sound? :biggrin:

180px-Roadrunner.jpg

Oh man is that funny. Worthy of post of the year!

The Rover

Reaction score
Freeze Alert / Beep-Beep

If you take a look at your outside ambient temp display right in between the speedo and tack and there's a little snowflake by it AND you here the beep, then that's probably it. That is, it's a warning that it's close to freezing.

That snowflake alerts you that temperatures are approaching freezing. The beep is the audible alert.:albertein

goinsurfin

Reaction score
So after reviewing all of the posted suggestions about the PDC, the temperature gauge, the "i" messages, or other icons.

I'm still hearing beeps without any indicators on the dash.

I hear 2-3 beeps under normal driving conditions without being close to vehicles or objects, above 45 degrees on the road and on the highway...

I'm going crazy! :confused:

What do you think?

Thanks.

di_LR3_co

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how fast are you going? you aren't hearing the overspeed warning are you?

spatterso

Reaction score
One thing to consider is if the clock is on the hour. In BMW's, at the last 3 seconds of the hour, it beeps 3 times to signal the hour change. This is a common question on Bimmer boards as many people aren't aware that the car does that. Next time, note what time it begins beeping.

goinsurfin

Reaction score
The speed varies from 20mph to over 50mph when it beeps...

I checked the speed alarm and it is off.

I'll check the time for hour change too. Can that shut off? I'll have to look in my manual.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

JackMac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Please keep us posted. Did you plan to have a dealer check this? The vehicle is still under warrantee.

Just a guess - but any chance that the previous owner installed something electronic (like a radar detector?). Or - does you cell phone beep when going in/out of range? Reaching here, but sounds like the usual items have been ruled out.

Also, never heard of the clock beep on a BMW before (I've owned 5 BMW's)

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72