What is the beep?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yrbender

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Noticed the same. Is driving me crazy. I thought it was the parking sensor on too long but it goes off when noone is close to me.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You southerners are just spoiled. Mine goes off every time I get in the car for 5 months...don't even hear it...
My '88 M5 had it, so did Land Rover pre-BMW ownership. I think it's a "Europe" thing, and a pretty good idea if you ask me. Nice to have a warning when those wet roads may turn slick.

Chief Justice

Reaction score
The only thing that i can think of is if you have a lot of dirt or dust on your parking sensor. It sees that dirt as something you're going to hit.

Just a thought...

yrbender

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It may be dirt. My truck is normally covered in mud, salt snow etc... I do wash her once a week but its been about 20 degrees here the last few days

drzjoint

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dirt was my thought my rear goes nuts all winter due to salt n road junk.

C

Chester

Forget the parking sensors they have their own dedicated sounders. Also forget all the BMW comparisons. LR3 & Sport use nothing from the BMW days. The ding is a warning that an electronic event has taken place which may or may not be displayed in the message center.

sushisean

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This has been driving me nuts as well lately. I'm convinced it's the front parking sensor. It goes off with large vibrations caused by a passing motorcycle, large truck, or loud car.

phurley

Reaction score
The sensors are ultrasonic and occasionally do go off when a large or fast vehicle goes by while you're stationary (for example, at a left-hand turn lane). Mostly, they go off from road spray kicked up by semis, but I'm sure that could happen with desert dust too. Very rarely, the rears go off while backing up into exhaust when it's really cold.

Having owned an X5 (and currently also an X6), the LR system is way better than the Bimmers, which false-sound all the time. I swear that sometimes I think the X6 is afraid of its own shadow. :afraid: LOL, one time I nudged a half-height parking pole because I would always turn off the PDCs on the BMW... :rolleyes:

BTW, only the rear PDC sensors sound off the dedicated sounder - the front PDCs sound using the instrument cluster sounder. This can be confusing because you instantly glance at the instrument cluster to see what's gone wrong - especially because the tone is continuous and longer than when the car's on fire! :hmpf:

drzjoint

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It would be nice if you could default them off and turn them on when you want to use them.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72