What is the beep?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

spatterso

Reaction score
Please keep us posted. Did you plan to have a dealer check this? The vehicle is still under warrantee.

Just a guess - but any chance that the previous owner installed something electronic (like a radar detector?). Or - does you cell phone beep when going in/out of range? Reaching here, but sounds like the usual items have been ruled out.

Also, never heard of the clock beep on a BMW before (I've owned 5 BMW's)

:albertein It's been a feature in the last 4 BMW's that I have owned, since 1987. It is called the "memo" function. :biggrin:

richpike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:albertein It's been a feature in the last 4 BMW's that I have owned, since 1987. It is called the "memo" function. :biggrin:

My BMW (2000 323Ci) didn't have it either. I wonder if it was something that the dealer could turn on or off (like daytime running lights).

-Rich

JackMac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, now it rings a bell (pun intended).

I think my E36 had this as part of the OBC option (on board computer). This feature went away with later versions of OBC (at least on E46 and E90).

Don't think it is an LR3 feature.

spatterso

Reaction score
:albertein
It's still there. It's in I-Drive, part of the clock setting. Still called the memo function. If you have an E90, see page 72 of the owners manual. See page 73 of the E60 owner's manual. See page 89 of the E39 owners manual. Also on every other current BMW in production, as was for the past 18 years if you had the business radio or better.

In any BMW (current vehicles with I-Drive), select "i" menu then "Display settings" then "Time" then "Set time", then "Clock Memo", click the box.

Drive ridiculously fast for one hour. Eventually, you will hear a series of three beeps. :hello:

JackMac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't have iDrive in my E90, so it doesn't have the memo feature :biggrin:

lr305

Reaction score
"Ding" at 39 degrees is a nice feature to warn driver that there is passible icy road out there. I got it all the time when I drive it out my heated garage to harsh wintery road. Hope it helps.

m5ccie

Reaction score
I have the same three dings happen the other day. No messages at the display and the temperature was over 70 degrees. No car in the front or rear for the PDC to act. maybe a faulty PDC sensor?

davidkaleta

Reaction score
Bloddy Beeps

I live in Dubai, so i don't think it's the temperture. I think it has something to do with the alarm, it seems to happen when trucks are parked beside me and their air brakes go off. I have a 2006 hse v6.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72