Why do american trucks get much better mpg that the lr4?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fwiw in the mtns of CO I've been getting 20-21mpg indicated on the v8 LR4. Checking manually it was really more like 18.5-19.5. I got the same on a hemi powered ram 1500, 20-21mpg indicated and actual on a 5.0 f150 and 21-23mpg indicated and actual on a 3.5 Ecoboost f150 gen 2, and the same actual mpg as the Landy in a gen 1 Ecoboost expedition. So I'd say the Landy is in line with other cars from 7 years ago but recently failed to make the gains everyone else did. I blame the silly supercharged v6.

Note 2017+ f150s and 2018+ expeditions are gen 2 motors and have 10spd transmissions.

My results and experiences are identical. I drove a 2017 Ecoboost Expedition max ( the long one lol) for a winter and fuel mileage was about the same. What is disappointing is the LR4 does it on Premium which sucks.

magnumforc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fwiw in the mtns of CO I've been getting 20-21mpg indicated on the v8 LR4. Checking manually it was really more like 18.5-19.5. I got the same on a hemi powered ram 1500, 20-21mpg indicated and actual on a 5.0 f150 and 21-23mpg indicated and actual on a 3.5 Ecoboost f150 gen 2, and the same actual mpg as the Landy in a gen 1 Ecoboost expedition. So I'd say the Landy is in line with other cars from 7 years ago but recently failed to make the gains everyone else did. I blame the silly supercharged v6.

Note 2017+ f150s and 2018+ expeditions are gen 2 motors and have 10spd transmissions.

It's not the V6 that is the issue. Just look at the weight and the poor aerodynamics of the LR4. We have a 2013 LR4 that gets about 12 in the city and as I recall never saw the high side of 19 anywhere on the road. That said I have am Jaguar XF-S with the 380 HP supercharged V6 and it has seen over 30 mpg on the highway with a 23 or better combined city and highway. Very aerodynamic and the aluminum architecture reduces weigh immeasurably. Most of us don't care for the new D5 but it is a bit more aero than the LR4, and should have better fuel mileage. Finally, the right foot and driving style dictates mileage more than the supposed EPA figures.

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I started putting highway miles on my LR4 that doesn't include driving over a big grade and at 76 MPH 3hr round trip I saw 17.x MPG today when filling up. I was pretty amazed to see that tbh. I would have been happy with 15 MPG.

I also read threads where people were saying the MPG is off, but when I calculate how much gas I need using distance and MPG, the pump is right on the mark so to me the MPG is accurate enough.

Blueaz

Reaction score
I've also noticed a huge difference in mpg if I set the cruise control at 75 mph vs. 80 or more. You really pay a penalty to push these pigs past 75. I can hit 15+ mpg at 70-75 mph vs. 13 over 80.

Nechaken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some of this has to be weight / aerodynamics and some just has to be advances in engine control tech. The I6 in the D5 P360 has EPA ratings of 19 city / 25 highway.... a fair bit better than the 15/19 of the LR4.

A diesel LR4 would be quite interesting...

Last edited:

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Coefficient of drag on the LR4 is 0.4
New Defender 0.38

Looks like 1500s and Silverado's are about 0.36 to 0.38 - Can't find much info on F150s since Ford doesn't seem to release that data.

Plus better engine tech/gearing is probably going to give them a slight advantage.

Another big drag on the drivetrain is full time 4x4.

Last edited:

Nechaken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Coefficient of drag on the LR4 is 0.4
New Defender 0.38

Looks like 1500s and Silverado's are about 0.36 to 0.38 - Can't find much info on F150s since Ford doesn't seem to release that data.

Plus better engine tech/gearing is probably going to give them a slight advantage.

Another big drag on the drivetrain is full time 4x4.

Looks like a rear tire carrier is actually a fuel efficiency mod!

At the same time, the rear diffuser and spare tire on the back door as a fairing are used as aerodynamic devices for improving streamlines. [...] It is clear from the numerical results that the use of combined modifications and add-on devices has a significant effect in improving the overall aerodynamic behavior. As a result, the drag coefficient for the optimal design of the Discovery 4th generation is reduced from 0.4 to 0.352 by about 12% compared to the benchmark.

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It turns out the 17.x MPG figure was from a round trip to Vegas but I recalled it also included a one-way trip down to the Colorado River that I didn't remember initially. There is incline to the summit, but its mostly decline down into the valley to the river so I think that is why the MPG was so high, but still impressive.

itsaguything

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It might have the aerodynamics of a building but the road and off road handling is exceptional… especially this time of year with the weather.

I have noticed a major difference in mileage by just keeping the speed down to 60 mph/100kph on the highway. And at the end of the day, what’s a few extra minutes…. Ditto for city driving. If others want to race me off the stop light, have at it…. they are idiots thinking I have any interest in their petty ways…. just don’t try that when I’m in the xkr, lol.

plainolejeff

Reaction score
Took a lil trip from Las Vegas to Lake Havasu the other day. Vehicle computer stated 19.4 average. Manual calculation was 18.2 average. The difference between 70-75 mph and 80+ was noticeable on the computer gauge. Driving the 2015 LR4 without wheel/tire mods.

Jeff

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72