Winter tire advice needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RAJOD

Reaction score
But on a 6500lb SUV, do I really need "stickiness"? What we found over the years was that the snow tires wear down nicely by early summer and make an excellent "all season" tire during the summer/fall. The deep grooves enable good rain channels, and the base tread is much harder than you'd think. We take the Rover to Vegas often and the car/tires see temps of 120 degrees in the summer and have plenty of grip at that temp....

This will be our 6th year with this model, and it just works for us. The only challenge has been finding the right winter tire with a 90 degree tread angle. The M+S Pirelli's and Michelins both didn't work well in deep snow. The Blizzaks have been amazing.

-B

You have some brains. I would do the same if I lived there.

In michigan I'm thinking of just getting 4 new rims and swapping to those snows you have in december-april then go back to the Scorpian zeros for summer time.

RAJOD

Reaction score
I want to get new rims for winter and a set of blizzaks. Sound like the best snows for the landrovers.

One issue is I can't find XL rated BLizzaks for 19" or 18" rims. The tires that are 30" or taller are SL rated. 44psi max vs 50 psi max. It does not list how many plys there are so not sure how much difference it makes.

The XLs are all 29" tires, which would work but would rather stick to 30" or taller.

Any suggestions?

r4hw.png

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I want to get new rims for winter and a set of blizzaks. Sound like the best snows for the landrovers.

One issue is I can't find XL rated BLizzaks for 19" or 18" rims. The tires that are 30" or taller are SL rated. 44psi max vs 50 psi max. It does not list how many plys there are so not sure how much difference it makes.

The XLs are all 29" tires, which would work but would rather stick to 30" or taller.

Any suggestions?

Blizzaks traditionally are great tires, but the Nokian Hakkapeliita R2 SUV tires are better dedicated snow tires (in my opinion and that of many others). They are also available in the proper size. At least two of us here have them.

RAJOD

Reaction score
My choices were Blizzak, Perreli ICE/Snow, and one other I can't remember.

From the reviews I read only the people with blizzaks raved about them on ice and snow. Saying they could not even do power slides with them. Like they were glue on ice. Perrelis come in correct size but did not see the WOW reviews on them.

I want good in snow/ice for stopping. And good on wet roads, (anti hydroplaning) Thats why I'm staying away from any ATR tires, they tend to float on water at high speeds. Had a buddy flip his doing 70 from hydroplaning.

RAJOD

Reaction score
Thanks for information. Yes I can get them in either 18" or 19" in the proper size.

Care to elaborate on the performance of Nokian Hakkapeliita R2?

How long do they last? I won't be driving on pure snow all the time. And might be towing snowmobiles or possibly my boat in the spring.

And I can get either 18 or 19" Still shopping for LR rims. Seems many people are dumping the 19" for 18" ATR use. Meaning lots of deals on 19" rims. I did not see many 19" LR rims.

So for snows any Advantages to 19" over 18"?

Last edited:

RAJOD

Reaction score
What about The Michelin X-Ice Xi3? It sounds even better on wet roads.

The more expensive Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 (Est. $160) winter tire runs neck-and-neck with the Michelin in Scandinavian reviews and one top U.S. test on ice and snow. The Nokian doesn't grip as well on wet and dry roads, though. It's pricey and hard to find in the U.S., too.

For most motorists in North America, winter tires without studs are all they need for cold-weather driving. The best snow tires power through snow and ice, improve stopping distances and handling, and ride smoothly and quietly on roads. The Michelin X-Ice Xi3 (Est. $105) dominates this category for the second straight year.

"Handles easily on all road surfaces," say tough testers at the Swedish auto magazine Aftonbladet, where it beats all other studless tires. Not only does it grip better on snow and ice in tests, but the Xi3 also proves quieter, more comfortable and more durable than other snow tires -- just like the Michelin X-Ice Xi2 before it, which held the ConsumerSearch Best Reviewed title for four years straight. Moreover, Michelin backs the Xi3 with a 40,000-mile treadwear warranty. That's rare among snow tires, which usually carry no tread warranty at all.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From the reviews I read only the people with blizzaks raved about them on ice and snow. Saying they could not even do power slides with them. Like they were glue on ice. Perrelis come in correct size but did not see the WOW reviews on them.

Blizzaks are great tires. But there are many different models. Who was trying to power-slide on Blizzaks, people with LR4's?

There are many kinds of snow tires. Studded, studless, performance, near-year-round, etc.

What is it that you want? When I put snow tires on my BMW's or my wife's MCS, I opt for performance snow tires (Blizzak LM series, Dunlop Wintersport 3D's, etc). They give up some deep snow traction and ultimate ice traction for much better feel and handling on cold and dry days. You can get studless snow tires like the Hakka R2's or Blizzak WS series and they will be superb in the snow but handle a bit less optimally in the dry.

On a heavy SUV, I could care less about how many g's I can sustain around a corner - that's what my sporty cars are for, so I want ultimate snow traction without quite going for studded tires. I mean, I don't live in Northern VT or in the Rockies. So far, given how I drive the LR4, I've hardly noticed a difference in driving.

I just got them, so I don't know how long they will last, and nor do I care. I will likely put less than 3k miles a year on the winter tires. I expect to have to replace them due to age before I replace them due to wear.

bash535i

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put some Nokian WRG2 tires on a 19" set that I bought off of eBay. I purchased the TPMS sensors for each wheel and haven't had a minutes worth of trouble from them. I switch back to the 20" gloss black in the summer, but you can run the WRG2 tires all year if desired.

RAJOD

Reaction score
What do I want?

Studs are illegal in my area so will have to be studless.

With a 6000lb vehicle stopping power on ice is preferred. Right now I have Perreli Zeros 19" and they do fine in terms of getting through snow but have had a few instances where I slide past an intersection due to icy conditions.

I would like wet performance to be at least as good as my Perreli zeros. Lost a friend to hydroplaning on the highway.

I don't really know for sure until I get the tire. Sometimes you buy something and later say "I did take into account this or that" So I am drawing from others experience to **** out issues that I have not taken into account.

How long they last is not a big issue but it seems to be to others. In reviews I read that often, "did not last wont buy again etc"

Who power slides a LR4? lol are you kidding me? All these people are just a little bit nuts.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72