01 Disco Exhaust Leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nolift911

Reaction score
So I think I have found my exhaust leak on the downpipes. It is leaking at the welds (mainly on the passenger side) to the plate that holds the studs for the y-downpipe. I can see black exhaust residue in the area. A new y-pipe (oem) is like $1500 with cats which I don't need. I have 189,000 miles.

Question is can I take the y-pipe off and mig weld the pipe back to the plate to seal the leak? Not knowing what type of metal the exhaust is is this possible? I would replace the gaskets as well. I know there are studs on the mounting plate should I get new studs and nuts too? Will they break when I try to remove? they don't look too bad, rust wise.

Anyone do/have this?

Thanks -

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes you can do this, but make sure you check the entire exhaust while you have it off, it is a PITA to remove and reinstall.

RobertColunga

Banned
Reaction score
So I think I have found my exhaust leak on the downpipes. It is leaking at the welds (mainly on the passenger side) to the plate that holds the studs for the y-downpipe. I can see black exhaust residue in the area. A new y-pipe (oem) is like $1500 with cats which I don't need. I have 189,000 miles.

Question is can I take the y-pipe off and mig weld the pipe back to the plate to seal the leak? Not knowing what type of metal the exhaust is is this possible? I would replace the gaskets as well. I know there are studs on the mounting plate should I get new
stud and nuts too? Will they break when I try to remove? they don't look too bad, rust wise.

Anyone do/have this?

Thanks -

I think this is also what my mechanic did when there was a leak in my exhaust. And he also got a new studs and nuts for it. Anyways, did you already resolved the leak in your exhaust?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9