1800 mile 5 desert solo trip

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Troy A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like you had a great time, here in the wilds of England I doubt you could go much more than 1/2 a day without bumping into someone else, if you don't mind me asking what did you pay for the 2013 discovery 4 /LR4 last year I bought a 2013 discovery 4 for £10000 around $13000 which had 225000 miles on the clock the only thing I have done is put a couple of new tyres on and new air mass sensor on it at the moment I have most of the centre console out as I am fitting a 10 inch screen to it the only thing I am having a problem with is I cannot remember what was displayed on the multi function display as the display died on it a couple of months ago and the only thing I can remember is the dab radio settings and the phone book plus Bluetooth but I am sure it displayed other things related to the car settings fitting the radio is not a problem along with keeping the steering wheel remote but I do not know anyone who has one of these to ask.

Re your decided to do the trip now or never I had a similar decision several years ago my ex had left me and I had been thinking of stopping work and going travelling, at first I had been thinking of sailing around the Mediterranean but after deciding to go I was told that it gets cold in winter in that area so decided to go to the Caribbean insted so with my ex leaving and me sat in a 4 bed 12 room house I sold my business along with the house and went across to Florida to buy a boat I got a 40 foot ketch and then spent the next 10 years sailing around the Caribbean lots of time I spent more than a month on my own on a deserted island without any other person or light in view the amount of stars you can see when off shore was a eye opener here in uk it is hard to find a place without lights which spoils the view.

Your photos are great i wish i had taken more than i did good luck with your next trip (once the travel bug bites you you will always be looking forward to when you can go again)

Regards Poppy Ann.

Hi Poppy Ann, thank you for that note! To answer your first question, over here in the U.S., I found that the 2013 HSEs with 50,000-75,000 miles were all in the $20K USD range. Mine was $22K with full service records - purchased at and serviced by the same dealer.

I won't say "sorry to hear" about the old relationship - it sounds like you took a negative situation and turned it into a very large (and decade long!) positive. What a trip! Yes, I took probably a thousand (or more) photos and the ones I posted are the small set! I also recorded a lot of video which I have yet to compress into a summary of the trip.

Indeed, I'm already wondering when I can continue that route I was on (called the PCOR - Pacific Crest Overland Route) and finish California and do half of Oregon!

Best wishes for you and your future adventures!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Troy A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all, This past fall, I bought a new-to-me 2013 LR4 with 72,000 miles on it, immediately had the cooling system reworked and the vehicle fully vetted, and put new tires and wheels on. Once it was ready, I did a 2 week 1800 mile solo trip around the deserts of Southern California. I finally (!) got the photos posted up in case anybody is interested. The map of the full route is the very last slide.

Enjoy! If you have any questions, let me know.

https://www.troyangrignon.com/photo...ones-death-valley-the-mojave-and-joshua-tree/
I changed websites so the new link with expanded photos is at https://troyangrignon.com/1800-mile-5-desert-solo-overland-trip-socal/

For some reason I was unable to edit the first post here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Troy, I can't see any pictures. Only the map at the beginning and text. Are they still uploading or something?

Troy A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Troy, I can't see any pictures. Only the map at the beginning and text. Are they still uploading or something?

Found the problem and fixed it, thanks @umbertob for catching that. For some reason my web host / app lost all the pics and I had to reupload them.

So there are now a few related posts up there:

https://troyangrignon.com/1800-mile-5-desert-solo-overland-trip-socal/
and
https://troyangrignon.com/best-photography-from-the-5-desert-trip/

Also for more general overland stuff that you all might like...
https://troyangrignon.com/tag/overlanding/

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA