$1k for Duratracks NOW vs $3k for ko2s on steel LATER

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

m_lars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really think the load index is a red herring and that the real value of the E-rating is the 10 plies and the tread depth and ideally the hopefully strengthened sidewalls that should theoretically come along for the ride with the 10 plies/tread.

I will continue to strongly and respectfully disagree that the highly modified JKU running at 7000 lb (2000 lb over factory GVWR) running 37" tires on 15" wheels with 9"-11" sidewalls is in any way relevant to this conversation.

I think we can all agree that 1) more sidewall is good; 2) strong sidewalls are important; and 3) whatever tire you can get to deliver 1 and 2 is good.

Too bad there is no objective measurement for sidewall strength.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It’s a similar weight vehicle doing a similar activity (usually) on a tire rating less than the consensus here says you need. Is it a direct comparison? No.

Load rating is far from a red herring. In my DOT inspection days it was pretty much the only statistic that mattered on a tire. In terms of sidewall strength, you are correct, it is no indicator.

Troy A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s a similar weight vehicle doing a similar activity (usually) on a tire rating less than the consensus here says you need. Is it a direct comparison? No.

Load rating is far from a red herring. In my DOT inspection days it was pretty much the only statistic that mattered on a tire. In terms of sidewall strength, you are correct, it is no indicator.

Sounds like we're in violent agreement that we need to collect tribal knowledge on which tires have good vs. crappy sidewalls and are not suitable for offroading. :)

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like we're in violent agreement that we need to collect tribal knowledge on which tires have good vs. crappy sidewalls and are not suitable for offroading. :)

Personally, I run either some form of Cooper's or KO2s based entirely on anecdotal evidence of sidewall strength. I have cut a Cooper, but have yet to slash a KO2.

I have avoided Duratracs for the same reason.

I would love to hear some feedback on other brands such as Yokohama, Toyo, Nitto, Falken, etc.

I tend to smirk at Toyo and Nitto, but honestly that is really just because that is what the brodozer crowd tends to run in these parts.

ETA:. Mine are E rated in all cases.

Last edited:

PWD2

Reaction score
@m_lars I think you make an interesting distinction but I'm unaware of any non-E (C/D) rated tires with beefy sidewalls - are you? I too am a fan of the S/T Maxx (just bought an LT265/60R18 set for my LR4) because of the E-rating AND the sidewall strength. Interested in your idea of non-E tires that still have strong sidewalls. I didn't think such an animal existed.

I have 265/60/18 bfg ko2 on my Lr3. They work great if you plan to go off road or long overland off road routes. You have some ability to air down.. I had to drop pressure to 15 to extricate myself from sand. Tough tire. Good traction off road and in snow. Even ran a snowmobile trail when helping with emerg maintenance. Downsides... heavy tire so you notice a little on the gas mileage and performance. Also handling not as good on high speed twisties, ride is slightly harsher due to stiff sidewalls.
If you are only doing light trail work occasionally then stick with 19s and 112 rated tire. I run all year round on the 18 ko2s and accept slight compromise. I hate dealing with punctures.

hatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm still a bit mystified by the inability to air down. This spring, I spent a week on Martha's Vineyard and was on the sand every day. The sand is mostly deep, coarse-grained and dry. This requires being down around 13lbs, or at least 15-18. Spent 10 days at 13 psi, on the sand and on the asphalt roads that go to/from the sand at lower speeds (typically 25 mph or less)—this was on the OEM Contis. Didn't have any issues. Would like to think that this is an option with 19" tires like the Duratrac or Continental TerrainContacts (which I think I'm leaning towards now despite thinking the Duratracs were the way to go, as there just seem to be too many reports of noise and sidewall issues with the Duratracs).

Have any of you had sidewall or other tire damage issues airing 19" tires down in sand? Or only around rocks?

PWD2

Reaction score
I'm still a bit mystified by the inability to air down. This spring, I spent a week on Martha's Vineyard and was on the sand every day. The sand is mostly deep, coarse-grained and dry. This requires being down around 13lbs, or at least 15-18. Spent 10 days at 13 psi, on the sand and on the asphalt roads that go to/from the sand at lower speeds (typically 25 mph or less)—this was on the OEM Contis. Didn't have any issues. Would like to think that this is an option with 19" tires like the Duratrac or Continental TerrainContacts (which I think I'm leaning towards now despite thinking the Duratracs were the way to go, as there just seem to be too many reports of noise and sidewall issues with the Duratracs).

Have any of you had sidewall or other tire damage issues airing 19" tires down in sand? Or only around rocks?
Airing down a higher profile tire gives you greater increase in footprint than lower profile and you can accommodate more loss of sidewall height and less likely to get rim contact/damage. For off road use 15, 16, 17" rims much better than 18 and above. For v8 lr3 and lr4 18" is as small as you can go though. I believe v6 lr3 brake size can allow 17" (?)

m_lars

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Snow and sand are very different in terms of airing down. I wouldn’t hesitate to go as low as you did in either. On the rock strewn mountain roads I frequent it’s a very different story.

I believe v6 lr3 brake size can allow 17" (?)
Yep, you need V6 caliper brackets and V6 rotors and you can clear 17’s. If you can find/afford 17’s that fit.

Socialseb83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Snow and sand are very different in terms of airing down. I wouldn’t hesitate to go as low as you did in either. On the rock strewn mountain roads I frequent it’s a very different story.

Yep, you need V6 caliper brackets and V6 rotors and you can clear 17’s. If you can find/afford 17’s that fit.

Since im new to this, and dont know much (yet), what do you guys recommend for me to look at or read to learn how much i should deflate tires in different situations?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV