2013 LR4 I'm new need advice on wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CaliLee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did not. You might be able to get away with it but if you had an air suspension failure you’d be sitting on the tires, I wanted to make sure I could still move in that situation.

adclark

Reaction score
I did not. You might be able to get away with it but if you had an air suspension failure you’d be sitting on the tires, I wanted to make sure I could still move in that situation.

2 questions about this: if I were to have an air suspension failure with compomotives and 265/60/18's and no lift, would I be sitting on the tires?

are the Johnson Rods a permanent lift or are they different technology than the SY8 lift kit?

your truck looks great btw. tasteful and well proportioned.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Biggest tire you can go is 265/65/18 and still be drivable if the air suspension goes haywire.

Don't get the Johnson Rods. They are not a permanent lift but rather fool the sensors into airing up the springs and making you ride higher. They don't do anything to address the problems that can happen with big tires. Only time something like them is honestly needed is if you go with the whole SYA lift.

adclark

Reaction score
that's what I was gathering regarding JRods... good to know about SYA. I don't think I'm going to lift. just want the biggest AT tire without the hassle. super helpful conversation. TY

TrinidadLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to just put bump stop spacers on, without the whole kit(straps, etc)? My main fear is dropping to the bump stops and being immobile(since I run 31.9 wheels) and I don't care so much about the other parts of the SYA kit(rods and straps). I can lift it via IID if needed. Sorry if this is a dumb question but trying to see what's possible.

Lars Johnson

Reaction score
To piggyback off this thread and also not create another "which wheel thread myself", is there a known lowest offset that would work? Being that there are only a small number of options, I have been looking for alternatives that could work. Would an et38 18x8 wheel work with any of the known recommended tire sizes? I don't see any reason why a low offset wouldn't work other then putting the tires closer to the outside of the fender.

CaliLee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to just put bump stop spacers on, without the whole kit(straps, etc)? My main fear is dropping to the bump stops and being immobile(since I run 31.9 wheels) and I don't care so much about the other parts of the SYA kit(rods and straps). I can lift it via IID if needed. Sorry if this is a dumb question but trying to see what's possible.

Yes, go take a look at their website. They offer several versions of the kit, the one with the limiting straps is for vehicles that will be used off road and they are there to protect your cv joints.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score

The problem is that the struts (when bottomed out) are the bumpstops.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To piggyback off this thread and also not create another "which wheel thread myself", is there a known lowest offset that would work? Being that there are only a small number of options, I have been looking for alternatives that could work. Would an et38 18x8 wheel work with any of the known recommended tire sizes? I don't see any reason why a low offset wouldn't work other then putting the tires closer to the outside of the fender.

The issue is going to be finding an 18-inch wheel in the offset you want that fits over the LR4's brake calipers. The ones I talked about in post #2 on this topic are the only ones that fit, so you can pick from those.

Lars Johnson

Reaction score
The issue is going to be finding an 18-inch wheel in the offset you want that fits over the LR4's brake calipers. The ones I talked about in post #2 on this topic are the only ones that fit, so you can pick from those.

Right, i get that. But how does a lower offset that moves the outside of the wheel further out cause a clearance issue with brakes? If anything I would thin that would ake thing easier as you would be avoiding strut clearance issues. The compomotive wheels are the only ones of the "normal" aftermarket wheels and they are more expensive then the track spec wheels i use on my race cars...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV