2013 LR4 I'm new need advice on wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LB Bill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My main fear is dropping to the bump stops and being immobile(since I run 31.9 wheels) and I don't care so much about the other parts of the SYA kit
That was my point about 30.5" and no mods. I would have put BFG KO2's (size available=275-55-20, like you) on my 20" wheels a while ago, but I don't like that risk, or the rubbing, and I want to avoid doing more or less permanent mods like strut and/or wheel spacers. For now, I'm holding off on tires and saving for 18" Compomotives.

N00DLES566

Reaction score
I went with the newer TuffAnt alloys on my 13 LR4 w/ BFKO2's. No spacers, no lift, etc. Loving them so far.

PXL_20210328_180715762.MP.jpg

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Right, i get that. But how does a lower offset that moves the outside of the wheel further out cause a clearance issue with brakes? If anything I would thin that would ake thing easier as you would be avoiding strut clearance issues. The compomotive wheels are the only ones of the "normal" aftermarket wheels and they are more expensive then the track spec wheels i use on my race cars...

I'm not sure what you are asking.

The wheels that work with LR4 brakes work because of their design (larger internal diameter compared to other 18" wheels) and offset. You can also use 18" LR3 wheels with 1.25" wheel spacers. Or, if you want, you can use a lot of 18" wheels with no spacers and grind the hell out of the fins on your brake calipers.

Last edited:

LB Bill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what would be your ideal tire to fit on the compo's with no modifications at all?
265-60-18 is a safe bet. That's only 0.5" larger than the largest stock LR4 offering (255-50-20= 30"), and I'm sure that the full size spare would fit underneath fully inflated. I might consider 265-65-18 with a little more research, but I'm not sure that's worth the effort/risk to me for 0.5" of extra sidewall.

Funny how the JLR designers fixed this issue on the D5...most likely ONLY because they wanted to offer those 22" wheels- 285-45-22= 32.1"D x 11.2"W
So with 20"s, good to go! SMH.

Lars Johnson

Reaction score
I went with the newer TuffAnt alloys on my 13 LR4 w/ BFKO2's. No spacers, no lift, etc. Loving them so far.

View attachment 12966

Those look great, but my god are they expensive for a set...Any chance you would be willing to measure the inner diameter of the barrel? There are absolutely other wheels out there that will fit these trucks, it just doesn't seem like anyone is willing to try and find them. Having a known good fitment of the inner diameter clearing the brake caliper would make it easier to reach out to companies for dimensions.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lars. There is more to it than just barrel diameter. The LR4 is heavy and they get loaded up even more. Many wheels than may fit may not have the specs needed to handled the weight. If Compos are too expensive then I suggest running OEM 19" wheels (which you can find cheap) and run a semi off road tire like the Toyo AT3 and run it in 255/60-19XL.

I know people love the Comps and they do indeed look great but I worry about all that unsprung weight. It has to affect the performance of the vehicle? No?

CRYA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OP and I were in the same boat. I just got my compos yesterday...and I'm happy with them. I read everything here and just made the executive decision not to suffer from analysis paralysis. The compo and a 265/65/18 appears to be a completely proven package here so that's what I'm doing. Hope to get my black 19"s for sale soon as I get the truck.
Now OP, once you choose your wheels, it's TIRE time! BFG A/T or save a few bucks and go Terra Grappler G2 in LT rating. Decisions Decisions for us new folk. :driver:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72